Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wifi conecting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 toolhore

toolhore

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

I recently purchased an HP Laptop, Windows 8.1, and am very pleased with it. Whenever I want to use a wifi hotspot I am asked for the security key. I'm puzzled because my kindle fire connects instantly to wifi without any security key requests. If I were to use multiple coffee shops I would have to know all the security keys for each one. Is there a work around for this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

You might want to login to your router and make sure your wireless settings have not changed.

#3 toolhore

toolhore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

I did as such with my home router but its the other routers that are the problem. If I go into a coffee shop and want to use their free wifi then I have to ask for their security key and enter it in the specified space to log in to their wifi. How come I don't have to do that with my Kindle fire?. What if the coffee shops don't want to freely give out their router info? Is this procedure specific to all late model laptops or is this a windows 8.1 thing?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

Most of the shops that have wifi have WPA/WPA2 and you will need the pin/code in order to use it.  My Kindle is the same way.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 toolhore

toolhore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

So in other words, everyplace that I should visit that has free wifi and I choose to use it , I'm going to have to enter that info into my laptop to log on?

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:49 AM

So in other words, everyplace that I should visit that has free wifi and I choose to use it , I'm going to have to enter that info into my laptop to log on?

No. Your lappy should remember entered wifi keys if it's set up to do so. This may help ... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/how-can-i-configure-windows-8-to-remember-my/c2774320-7cda-4cc5-a38c-d97d121c1871 .

#7 toolhore

toolhore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for the replys folks. So I guess I'm stuck with entering all those numbers  at each wifi spot everytime I should need to go on line.Seems such a hassle since my Kindle fire picks them up automatically.  Thanks again.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

No.  If you read the information ElfBane posted the link to you will see that you can set the laptop so that it will remember keys.  This is how Kindle works.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 toolhore

toolhore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

Yes , I know it remmbers the info I enter  but my kindle did not require me to enter any info. It somehow detects the necessary information and all I have to do is click on the wifi name for that particular spot and I'm online.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

I have a Kindle Fire HD, if the wifi is WPA/WPA2 I will have to enter the code.

#11 toolhore

toolhore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

Thats interesting, because My KindleFire HD required nothing for me to connect. To bad Windows couldn't apply this function to their OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users