Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Utility Partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

I have installed Linux Mint 13 XFCE dual boot with XP.

I still have a Dell Utility partition but can't access it.

If I hit F12 on  boot and select 'Diagnostics' then a 'Pre-Boot Assesment' runs and at the end I get the message:

'Booting Dell Utility Partition. Press any key to Continue'

If I then hit a key it just takes me to the Grub menu.

The reason I want to acces the diagnositics is because I want to check any settings it might have for my CPU fan (F2 - BIOS does not seem to have any info on the fan).

I think the fan has probably failed. It is a recent cheap replacement I bought on ebay and was noisy from the outset.

I have searched for info on this subject already but anything Im have found is a bit beyond my limited computer knowledge :blush:

Thanks,

J

EDIT: Regarding the damaged fan - I opened up the laptop again and realised that I had screwed through the wire connecting the new fan to the computer when I put the case back on....:(

Edited by j_bins, 25 September 2014 - 12:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

Instead of trying to access the Dell Utility Partition I discovered that you can download a Disc Image of the same utilities from the Dell website.

I booted from the disc and ran the diagnostics.

Looks like I don't  need the Dell Utility partition after all.

:)

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

Congrats. I passed by here the other day, but had insufficient knowledge to answer. Glad you found an alternative.

I spilled a few drops of beer on my Acer wireless keyboard the other day, had to take out 14 screws to pop it apart and establish any damage.

I will have to watch when I screw them back in, don't want to be typing like I had Tourette's Syndrome, lol.

Wizard

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

Instead of trying to access the Dell Utility Partition I discovered that you can download a Disc Image of the same utilities from the Dell website.

I booted from the disc and ran the diagnostics.

Can't you do this from Windows?  I know you got it - but you never know, maybe there is a better, easier or different way to do it that you might prefer, just a thought.  I thought I had seen this utility somewhere in my XP install.  Another idea might be third party software that do this as I have seen.  Is there not software from dell to do this, or do you have to run the disc.  I am not questioning you, just curious if that is the easiest way to do this.  I would love to take a look at this stuff at some point as my pc is getting quite old.  Running Linux I am guessing all is good and is running quite cool, but would like to take a look.

If you got time what did the diagnostics tell you about your new fan running linux or windows.

I assume the fan now works after fixing the wire that was being pinched? 

Good work by the way, going back to take a look at what could have gone wrong and fix it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for posting wizard.

I spilled a few drops of beer on my Acer wireless keyboard the other day, had to take out 14 screws to pop it apart and establish any damage.

oh dear...beer and laptops :)

If you got time what did the diagnostics tell you about your new fan running linux or windows.

I assume the fan now works after fixing the wire that was being pinched? 

Good work by the way, going back to take a look at what could have gone wrong and fix it.

Hi pcpunk,

I couldn't get into the Dell Utility partition through Windows unfortunately. The Diagnostic boot disc worked fine though :)

I have another post regarding the hardware (fan) problem. I posted this one here just to try and resolve the software (Dell utility/ grub).

The other (ongoing) post is in the hardware section:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549918/laptop-cpu-fan-not-working/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users