Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 refused to boot after infected files removed - what next?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cania

Cania

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

Samsung RV511

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

Hi everyone! Sorry for the long post.

ETA: TL;DR - Removed two infected files from laptop. Laptop went into standby and wouldn't recover. Hard reset, then hanging at welcome screen. After 5-10 minutes, blue screen flashes up and system repair screen came up. Ran system repair this morning, did not see what happened but worked after about 20 minutes. Now worried about cause of issue and wondering how to safely remove any infected files I have missed.

Background info:

Had to borrow the boyfriend's laptop last night. He never does any maintenance so when I hop on I run a full scan in Avast and defrag to keep things ticking over. A year ago he had a lot of viruses and crap installed so I cleaned things up as best I could and installed Avast.

Problem:

Ran a full scan in Avast late last night. Threw up two infected files, one trojan (Unknown [series of numbers starting with 8]) and something about an FLV player. Moved to chest and deleted. Sorry I'm hazy on the details, it was very late. Did a bit of web browsing and a few minutes after the scan was complete the battery died. Plugged it back in, it wouldn't come out of standby. Figured it was having a hissy fit because I plugged it in just as it was going off. Turned it off from power button, waited a few minutes for it to get some charge, turned it back on. Then the following happened:

1. Computer hung on welcome screen (with Win 7 logo). Turned it off and on again.

2. Hung at same place. Icon still moving, let it run for five-ten minutes. Blue screen flashed up too quickly to read, went to black screen suggesting repair. Selected repair option. Black screen, no response. Turned off.

3. Tried one more time, repeat of 2. Gave up for the night, panicked HDD was dying. 

Today:

1. Boyfriend turns on laptop. Hangs on welcome screen, did not see if blue screen flashed up. 

2. He started windows repair. Black screen, left it running.

3. After he left about 20min later, heard the "welcome" chime. Profile options available - neither of us saw what happened during this time.

4. I tried restarting from profile screen. Windows now appears to boot normally at a good speed. No BSOD so far.

Question:

How do I proceed? I want to check if there are still viruses but am wary of using Avast now. 

Was the boot trouble because of the infected file removal?

Currently scared I'll do something to stop it booting again.

Pardon my ignorance and thanks for reading :)

Edited by Cania, 25 September 2014 - 04:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hello Cania -

Is the computer able to start in Safe Mode << (see directions) ??

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users