Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help clean/speed up?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:06 AM

ASUS K50Ij laptop.
3 GB RAM,
Pentium T4400, DualCore @ 2.2GHz

Running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

I've played and toyed around with this laptop so much of the years, I dont question why it feels so much slower than when i first got it, or than when i installed XP (Which made this thing seem like it blazed)
My Father got me this laptop back in Feb of 2010, as a birthday gift. I am currently virus free, although I do enjoy a little challenge. Gives me something to do.

I wasnt going to worry about speeding this thing up. I was supposed to leave for the army, then buy a new one. Nope, broke my friggin arm. Now I've got two plates in my arm ( wanna see the pre and post op xrays???) and type like a spider.Currently jobless and broke, subject to change as soon as the doc says go. I also have nothing but time on my hands. Could anybody help me try to speed this thing up a little? I use various cleaners,  CCleaner, the buil-in Disk-Cleanup, and SlimCleaner.I used to be able to use my laptop without the fans drowning out during late night movie watcging/youtubing Hell I think my WEI even used to be higher than 3.3. 

I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I use gamebooster to clear me up a little when i want to play Sims 3 (only non-console/one-handed game i have) and i used to be able to play on all medium settings, now its mostly low.  I dont quite understand, I mean hardware doesnt deteriorate in performance over time, does it? Not in 4 years, i wouldnt think. and its not like were talking about a car here, the only moving parts i know of are the fan,disc drive and the HDD. 

My Disc Drive opens randomly when not in use (Not a focus, just an amusing point) and im surprised with all the sheize I threw at the hard drive that it doesnt cough at me lol.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2014 - 10:32 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Why not a simple restore to factory defaults?

ASUS Recovery Mechanism

Louis

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

My Disc Drive opens randomly when not in use...

Malware does that.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Go to the Startup tab in msconfig and uncheck all the programs that aren't necessary at bootup.

Go to Services and disable useless stuff like Google Update and put others on manual, if you know what they are and don't need them to come on at boot up.

Do your disk clean up, followed by a defrag.

Make sure your hard drive isn't more than 50% full.

Do a diskcheck/repair (checkmark both options) by scheduling it for the next reboot.

Scan with free Malwarebytes (careful to not accept the trial version when installing).

Do the same with Superantispyware.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

I honestly, and mean no offense by it, do not see why the topic was moved to am I infected, because that's probably the only thing I'm sure of. However it got me a few answers so thanks for that.

I wanted to try and speed it up without doing a factory restore, that's basically reinstalling windows. That's not a treatment it's a workaround that only works until I'm slowed down again. I know this because I've done a factory restore, as well as fresh OS installs.

I did a disk cleanup, I've removed files, games, programs, etc that were taking up space

I've disabled everything in startup that isn't necessary. I've done everything that I've learned to do over the years and that I've read on how to guides. I dont see much improvement, which is probably why you suggest a restore. If I can't find the disc Asus sent me then I'll try your suggestion
Just hoping I didn't have to go to that extreme.

Also my odd isnt being open by malware, it's actually, according to my research, a bug in the driver's. It doesn't affect me when there's a disc being used and being open doesn't bother me much either, considering I've limited my laptop as a desktop being that the battery lasts 20 minutes

Thanks for the advice, I'll run a disk check and defrag and if I don't see improvement I guess I'll restore to factory

Edited by Jayson201, 25 September 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#6 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

also i notice the backtracker program says its for windows 8. I'm running Windows 7

Also, I dont think its going to work without the factory image;

which is on a disc somewhere in this house

Edited by Jayson201, 25 September 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

I have no idea why your thread was moved, but when I first saw it, it was in the Win 7 sector.

Allow me to tell you what I have learned about systems slowing down over time.

After a certain amount of years of usage, no matter how much you tweak the system, it won't be as fast as when it was new, for a few reasons.

Mostly it's the operating system itself that causes the slowdowns, but how full your hard drive can make a difference too and lastly, an older hard drive does not perform as well as a new one.

That being said, after a fresh install, you'll find it so much faster than it has been recently, that it'll leave the impression of being as fast as the day you bought it.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:59 AM

I would like to buy a new hard drive, upgrade the ram, and get a stronger processor but I'm broke and also figure after I have income i would be better off just to build a brand new one
Fresh OS would fix all the weird quirks I'm too lazy to solve or even diagnose but that just means I would get different ones. It's the windows experience lol

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:36 AM

I redo my system on my main PC, around 4 times a year, and it only takes 10 minutes.

All you have to do is create a system image, as soon as you have set up the system to your liking and reinstall it whenever you need it.

I use an SSD and all my data is stored on other hard drives, which explains why it only takes 10 minutes, but even with a regular hard drive and lots of data, it might take an hour, so it's really not a big deal.

In the case of laptops that I want more performance from, I'll put an SSD in (around $100) and put the original drive into a $10 USB case. The difference is remarkable and it's the only thing you can do to a laptop, that really makes a difference and it's well worth the expense.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users