Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware harvesting data offline

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Itchy01

Itchy01

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hi All

This is going to sound paranoid and whacko, but I'll ask anyhow. Spyware - is it possible to get some type on your computer that copies files while you're offline, stores the copies somewhere on your computer, then sends the stuff "home" next time you're back online?

The reason I ask is as follows. I have Adobe CS4, Acrobat and Photoshop are the only two elements installed that I know. Lately, every time I go to close a pdf file, it takes forever. The little red "close" box top right with the cross on it goes dark brown, then it's like the computer temporarily freezes with respect to that pdf - it just sits there - then it closes after about 3-30 seconds (varies).

One loony thought that occurred to me was that it took so long because it was saving a copy of itself somewhere. I used to scan personal stuff that nowadays would be good for ID theft so I'm wondering now whether I should have?

So, loony question or not, I ask it.

Cheers

Itchy01

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Itchy01

Itchy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

Just thought I'd add...

I've done full MBAM + Nortn 360 in Safe Mode. Also rootkit scans with aswmbr, GMER, Kaspersky TDSS and MBAR. Oh, and SuperAntispyware just for fun. Mostly they just found Tracking Cookies. (Wahoo!)

I think aswmbr found 3 "suspicious" items and copied them to quarantine. I wasn't game to delete the files before checking them out online.

What concerned me was a recent Malwarebytes download was followed by a little popup window saying MWB couldn't download a rootkit update - this might be rootkit activity. Did I want to reboot. I did, unfortunately I was obliged to go out for a diner-date and didn't see what had happened till the end. What did happen was  was obliged to reboot the computer. My desktop solid colour (green) appeared with the MBAM (premium) window cheerfully telling me it had found nothing. Closing it, nothing happened - just endldess green screen. I switched off the computer to shut it down. On reboot, it sulked on the manufacturer's screen (Toshiba) which instructs you to "start with F8 or F12 if ...". And stayed there ........

I switched the machine off and on again. This time, Windows started obligingly, so that was when I restarted it in safe mode and did the scans above.

I'm not really convinced I don't have a rootkit, but I don't know what else to do to try to detect it. Oh yes, I've also done an NPE scan which, of course, is clear.

Cheers

ausgumbie

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

Since none of the tools you have used thus far are finding any malicious files or not successful at removal, this issue will require further investigation. Many of the scanning tools we use in this forum are not capable of detecting (repairing/removing) all malware variants so more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. (Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log)
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users