Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP can't boot: BSOD 0x0000007B

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dislab

dislab

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

Windows XP BSOD blue screen

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789E524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I was running disk defragmentation but the computer froze when the defragmentation started, so I pressed the power button to force a shutdown. Then Windows XP couldn't boot any more. It can reach the Windows icon, then becomes a blue screen with stop 0x0000007B (0xF789E524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I couldn't enter safe mode due to the same error. I tried “chkdsk C: /r” under recovery console, and it reports fixing a few bad segments on disk, but still doesn't work. I can see the files on the hard drive when mounting it as an external drive to my laptop. I tried Windows XP CD too, but the only choice is to install windows XP that overwrites my existing folders. I would rather keep the applications I have installed in the drive, so I haven't tried this option.

What else can I do? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

It may be possible to get the computer to boot by changing AHCI mode in BIOS to IDE mode. STOP: 0x0000007B can be a mass storage driver problem. If this does not solve the problem, do you have another XP computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 September 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#3 dislab

dislab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

It may be possible to get the computer to boot by changing AHCI mode in BIOS to IDE mode. STOP: 0x0000007B can be a mass storage driver problem. If this does not solve the problem, do you have another XP computer?

This is a Dell 400sc computer, almost 10 years old, and I didn't find AHCI mode in BIOS. I have connected the hard drive as an external drive to a Windows 7 laptop and was able to see the data, and I tried to run Error-Checking on that drive, but there was some issues (I don't remember exactly what was wrong). I can find another XP computer. How can I use XP computer to fix this? Thanks. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

I was thinking that a system restore may help if system restore was enabled. You can do it one of two ways. There is an easy way using a bootable disk as shown here. If you can access the drive in another computer which you said you can, you could manually copy the restore points from the system restore location to the registry hive location.

I will be back in a bit and post the solution to doing a manual registry restore.

Edit: See this post for recovering the registry hives manually if you have restore points. I mention Puppy linux Parted Magic but you can do the same thing with the drive attached to another computer. I would try ERD commander first.

If the above does not work, you may have a recovery partition that will let you do a factory reset on the computer after you have backed up your important data.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 September 2014 - 10:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users