Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space "Temporary File Space Error"

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hofnettech1

hofnettech1

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

:scratchhead: I have a computer that has their "c: drive" almost full (221 gb drive). Every time it boots a message comes up saying "Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified." So first I tried adjusting the Virtual Memory BUT, I only have a drive C and a previous drive that is no longer there. So I am not for sure what drive to set my virtual memory to because there is not enough space on C drive with it being almost completely full and the one drive is non-existent. I am sure its a easy fix and im missing a step but i appreciate the help guys  :thumbup2:  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

I would type Run in the search box. Start it and then in the Run box type %temp%. This will open up the temp folder for the current user. These files are safe to delete. Log in to every other user and use the same command. Once those are deleted, use Ccleaner to clear all the browser cache then set the Paging file to 1.5 times the RAM on the system.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

Additionally...I would use WinDirStat to see what is taking up all the space.

Among items I would remove: hiberfil.sys, any/all restore points which are not likely to be needed, any large (video, graphics, .mp3 files not likely to be needed/wanted.

To make hibernation unavailable, follow these steps:
[list]

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
  • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
  • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press Enter.
  • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

How To Delete System Restore Points

Ultimately...you may need additional storage provided via another hard drive, internal or external.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

- Use Piriform's Ccleaner to delete as much files as possible. E.g., the "Temp" folders, System Restore Points & the folder called "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution". It can free up A LOT OF disk space (MBs or GBs).

- Run the build-in "Disk Clean Up" tool, select "Clean system files" as well, tick every box and hit "Clean". It can free up A LOT OF diskspace (GBs) as well.

- Then run the build-in Windows defragmentation program.

- Use Piriform's Defraggler to defragment your pagefile. That will solve a number of problems as well.

Edited by Willy22, 24 September 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#5 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

Ok i will try those steps! Thanks everyone for the replies much appreciated!  :thumbup2:

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

Let us know if these suggestions were succesful.

#7 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

WIlly & Hamluis

ok just an update guys! I tried the disk cleanup tool was un successful i am doing a chk disk in safe mode to see if that does anything. then i am going to try a disk defrag. i will keep you posted!

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

Defrag usually requires 15% free space so it will most likely fail also.  You need to start uninstalling applications/move stored videos/etc to DVD or other media.

You should never let your drive get that full or you will find yourself unable to logon to windows or access your data except from outside the system

#9 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

Wand3r3r,

Yes i have started uninstalling applications not needed. And it wasnt a computer of mine it was one brought in.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

The point made...was that, unless you have 15% or more of free space on C:, you are likely to have unpredictable problems doing anything involving Windows.

Louis

#11 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

Ok thanks again any help appreciated! i will try to clean more space off and keep you guys posted!

#12 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Just an update I was able to free about 70gb of space using disk cleanup still working on it. Some files also have a padlock and i tried getting into settings to give permission but it is denying me access so I'm not sure what to do about that maybe there is an Administrator that has locked these files then got deleted? who knows  :smash:

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

How To Remove Lock Icon

Louis

#14 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

Yes louis i just tried that and some unlocked but some did not. there is another user under hard disk labeled microsoft click to run 2009 and it says protected. I believe this is whats locking my files. BUT theres no other hard drive its as if someone had an external drive labeled it this microsoft locked files and then removed drive its messed up.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Click-To-Run seems to be associated with an MS Office Installation.

Overview of Click-To-Run

See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-office_install/how-do-i-delete-the-microsoft-click-to-run-2010/2253bc49-6850-4164-9c17-dd7f3a080838 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users