Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8(Wired) can't view Windoes 7 machines(Wireless)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chi1ddd

chi1ddd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hello,

I have a windows 8.1 machine that is wired to an ASUS router.  I have a few other Window's 7 machines that are connected via Wifi. 

The Wired 8.1 machine can not view any of the Wifi machines in the Network view.  Also, the Network map does not show them.  Can't ping either.

The Wireless Windows 7 machines can see all Wifi machines as well as the 8.1 machine.  However, the Network Map shows the 8.1 machine having a direct connection to the router icon.  The Windows 7 machine has a question mark between it and the router.

Also, I had a Homegroup setup but the Windows 8.1 could not view it.  I deleted the homegroup on the Windows 7 machines and started a new one on the Windows 8.1.  The windows 7 machines are asked to join that homegroup but are denied because it states the password is not correct.  However, the password is correct.  I have even changed the password to something very simple and tried again.  Something seems to be blocked the communication.

Windows Security Essentials on the Windows 7 machines.  Defender on the Windows 8.

Hopefully, this can be followed.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:18 AM

Click on your network icon near the clock to bring up your list of networks. Right click your network and make sure that you are allowing access to view other devices. You may also want to go to your Explorer (file viewer) and click your network section. This will tell you if "Network Discovery" is on. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Bleenoob

Bleenoob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

Gavin is correct when he suggests this and he's probably more of an expert than me.

I have had this problem before with a range of machines using different OS and the Win 7 and WIn 8 compatibility has always given me the same problems as you. I read somewhere that if you connect each Win 7 device wireless device to the network using Ethernet first and add to the homegroup, then the network will subsequently discover them when you connect wirelessly. Don't ask me why but it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users