Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot failure after startup repair loop.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 indig0

indig0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

After a random freeze I had to restart the machine via a button push and was confronted by a continuous repair loop. After some considerable investigation I found two errors on my SSD boot hard drive, I tried to start in safe mode and try a system restore. Neither worked. I edited the registry using advice about changing the BOOTMGR. This had the undesired result of completely locking me out of the advanced windows options menu as any option chosen brings me to windows failing to load and a black screen. I tried booting with my windows 7 DVD in the drive (which worked before the registry editing) but after loading brings me to another black screen. 

So just to recap:

- I can't load the Windows 7 DVD at startup and therefore cannot reinstall windows.

- I cannot edit the registry or change the settings for booting as pressing any of the F8 options does not work.

- Loading windows brings up this info:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware blah blah...

Insert windows installation disc and restart...

Then below that it says:
File \Boot\BCD
Info: an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

In the advanced windows options menu the 'repair' option is missing.

I obviously have windows 7 it's the 64bit version it's on a Sandisk SSD for boot, while I have my files on a seperate hard drive.

At this moment I would love a fix- if not then I suspect a new SSD and a reinstall of windows is on the cards...

Any advice would be great! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

What makes/made you think that your SSD has/had a problem?

https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000000f/

When trying to overcome a problem that only concerns the Windows drive...I suggest temporarily removing all other hard drives, leaving only the optical drive and the Windows drive.

Louis

#3 indig0

indig0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

What makes/made you think that your SSD has/had a problem?

https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000000f/

When trying to overcome a problem that only concerns the Windows drive...I suggest temporarily removing all other hard drives, leaving only the optical drive and the Windows drive.

Louis

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately after unplugging all the unnecessary devices the problem still persists. In the bios it did recognise the removal of my second hard drive and just for recognition I removed the optical drive, thinking that perhaps the cable was faulty (but the DVD worked only hours before?) it showed that both devices were gone. I tried booting again, but it black screened on the starting windows screen. I also tried different combinations.

Reason I think it could be my SSD is that before all these problems started there was a lot of slow down, small five second freezes and then building to the big one. I'm no expert but I really can't think of what else to try apart from getting rid of the SSD and getting a new one? Although loading a USB stick with some software might be a work around?
Any suggestions would be great!

#4 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately after unplugging all the unnecessary devices the problem still persists. In the bios it did recognise the removal of my second hard drive and just for recognition I removed the optical drive, thinking that perhaps the cable was faulty (but the DVD worked only hours before?) it showed that both devices were gone. I tried booting again, but it black screened on the starting windows screen. I also tried different combinations.

Reason I think it could be my SSD is that before all these problems started there was a lot of slow down, small five second freezes and then building to the big one. I'm no expert but I really can't think of what else to try apart from getting rid of the SSD and getting a new one? Although loading a USB stick with some software might be a work around?
Any suggestions would be great!

If u experienced Slow downs freezes and you see black screen then  it probably problem of your SSD maybe Cable is damaged or not plugged correctly or port is faulty or your SSD  have problem.

F8 options does not work if computer can't read the data from your drive.Neither you can boot from dvd because windows setup need at least one working drive for that.

I will suggestion you to check your ssd in a different working pc.And try to access data.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2014 - 09:58 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users