Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0xc00000e9 unable to enter system restore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 christyleruk

christyleruk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

Ive had one of my hardrives fail, so I removed it and bought a new one.

Once i took the old harddrive out though, and left my main HD in I now get a message which says BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.

I tried going to system restore/repair however when I boot from the Windows 7 disc it getd as far as the bar and loading files screen then drops into a Windows Boot Manager screen which says "windows has encountered an problem communicating with a device connected to your computer" status 0xc00000e9 info: an unexpected I/O error has occured.

It allows me to press enter to continue but that just brings me back to the screen which says choose and operating system to start where the option is wondows setup.

Ive tried putting the hardware back as it originally was but this doesn't change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits end and have so much work I need to finish.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Did you run diagnostics on both of the old hard drives?

Is Windows 7 installed on the hard drive you left in?

Were you dual-booting when your troubles began?

Louis

#3 christyleruk

christyleruk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

One drive was completely broke, so it was binned. The other drive has windows 7 installed.

I wasn't duel booting that I was aware.

I tried using just the brand new drive that I'd bought instead figuring fresh install, but it's given exactly the same problem.

Thank you

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

Well...if you had no dual-boot and Windows was not installed on the drive which was replaced...there's no reason that you should not be able to boot the remaining drive.  Just for the sake of clarity...tell us if you ran diagnostics on these two drives before deciding that one was "broke"...the evidence seems to say that your Windows installation may have been "broke", IMO.

I'm not understanding....just why did you attempt a fresh install if the Windows drive was intact?

System manufacturer and model?

What disks do you have...by which you atttempted to install Windows?

Louis

#5 christyleruk

christyleruk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

Managed to fix it, well, sort of, turns out it was the IDE DVD drive that was causing the I/O error, so after I chucked a SATA one in it could at least get to the windows repair menu, tried repairing windows a couple of times, and rebuilding the BCD I still had no luck, still showing boot manager missing. So in the end I stuck the new Harddrive in and installed a new copy of windows, booted up through that and that allowed me to access the old drive, so a bit of copying later and it's better than new, nothing like a fresh install . Going to use the old drive as secondary storage but won't be trusting it with anything important, it's now relegated to music and movies I think till I grab myself another new one. Thank you very much for the help Louis, I would have given up if it wasn't for your advice.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

Glad you were able to get running properly :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users