Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wifi security vs wired security

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peyes2

peyes2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

A few years ago i asked a question about someone hacking onto my computer when i was using a public computer at a library and i was told that the hacker-person would have to sit very close to me (within 10-20 feet) in order to get onto my public library computer. That public library computer was using a "wired" connection. 

So i started to use my laptop and noticed that the individual whom was getting onto the public wired computer starting sitting next to me (within 10-15 feet) and was trying to hack onto my computer again, though i was using wifi, NOT a wired connection. 

question: if i am using a public library and using my own, new laptop - would the hacker have to sit physically close to me in order to get on my computer, regardless of whether i was using a library "wired" connection or a library "wifi/wireless" connection?

question 2: would it make a difference if were using wired or wireless for my own computer at the library? as a sidenote, i know that this same individual hacked onto my computer when i was using a bookstore wifi, though i was sitting in my car at the time; they were also sitting in their car at the time, but were not within 20 feet; maybe 40-50 feet. 

thx,

p.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

Wired or wireless would make no difference to any decent hacker. Proximity would also not be a factor, people routinely hack servers\pc's in different countries. If you believe you have been hacked, you should open a new topic asking for assistance first verifying that the breech on to your pc has been fixed, and to make sure you have proper knowledge to prevent this in the future.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

Wired is much harder to hack than wireless, it is very secure by comparison but there are still potential problems. In either case thier proximity to you is irrelevant, if they have hacked a wired connection thye would proabbyl have to visit in person to perform a physical change to some hardware but then thye could control it for the other side of the world, wi-fi could be controlled from across the planet in the same way but for standard attacks on wifi connections thye could be anywhere within the range of the wirless signal, no need to be close to you.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

If they hacked into your computer because you're not using a firewall and/or you have weak credentials, then it makes no difference, wired or wireless.

How did you notice they hacked into your computer?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

Wired is better for security purposes, but as Didier has already pointed out, "If they hacked into your computer because you're not using a firewall and/or you have weak credentials, then it makes no difference, wired or wireless."

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:35 AM

Comparing the security of wired networks vs. wireless networks is not trivial.

It depends on the design.

For example, if your wired network is just Ethernet cables with an unmanaged switch, and anybody can plug into the switch, then you have no wired security.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users