Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Gone?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:18 AM

Hi All,

I have a Compaq nc8000 and I thought it had built-in wireless. I went and hit the button on the laptop and I thought the light would come on. Recently I had to reload Windows XP Pro and I think I might have lost wireless? Did this laptop have built -in wireless before? I never tryed to use wireless before so I don't know if it did. All I know is that it has a wireless button on it and a light for when it comes on.

Any ideas?
-----Mack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:36 AM

Mack_Tech
Yes, your notebook has built in wireless.
If you don't have the drivers on cd, get them here

#3 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:53 AM

Hi Hitsquad,

I installed the IntelPro Wireless drivers but I cannot get it to turn on. Any suggestions?
-----Mack

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hi again Mack_Tech.
Chances are you are missing more then just the wireless drivers.
Did you read the "Prerequisites" for that download?
You also need the Intel PROSet Software installed, which is a seperate download.
Run through device manager and installed programs on your notebook to see what else is missing.
You can use the download page for comparison.
If you have recovery cd's, all this stuff should be on them.
If you don't, you know were to get them. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 09 June 2006 - 10:10 AM.

#5 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:40 AM

Thanks Hitsquad.

I downloaded both and I have an icon in the toolbar now for proset, however when I put the cursor over it, it says " no supported wireless adpters available in the system' and it has an X through it.

What am I missing?
-----Mack

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

Try going to your Control Panel. Open up Network Connections. See if you have a wireless option there. If not, choose to Create a New Connection and follow the directions. Also, check in your Device Manager to see if you have a wireless network adapter. Press the Windows key and the Pause key at the same time (on some notebooks you also have to hit the fn key to make the pause key work!) and then click on the Hardware tab, and the Device Manager button. Find your wireless network adapter and verify that it's working.

#7 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:47 AM

I went to device manager and the wireless adapter is not there. How do I get an adapter back in my laptop? Is it possible or do I have to purchase one?
-----Mack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users