Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Windows on Laptop with Broken Screen -SAMSUNG R510

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alphomega

Alphomega

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

Hello, I am trying to do a fresh install of windows on my Samsung R510 Laptop.

The screen is completely broken and has been totally removed. I use an external monitor in order to use the laptop.

The LCD connector is no longer connected to the motherboard.

However, the external monitor does not become active/receive a signal until the laptop boots to the Windows Log On screen. I cannot get the external monitor to display the BIOS/boot settings and have tried everything I can think of and searched the internet long and hard for a solution.

I have disconnected the LCD completely from the motherboard, however the laptop still does not automatically send signal to the external monitor immediately. I have tried pressing FN+F4 at various points during the boot, and it has no effect.

Is there anyway to disable the original monitor completely so the boot and BIOS boots immediately sending signal to the external monitor?

Does anyone know where the laptop Lid Switch is located on the R510? I have read one post where it is suggested to put a magnet over the lid switch to trick the computer into thinking the lid is closed upon boot thus automatically sending signal to the external monitor.

I cannot install a fresh copy of Windows without being able to see the boot screen on the laptop and this is what I need to do.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hello, and Welcome

See if this works. At boot tap the F2 key (page 79 of the user manual). This will cause the Computer to enter the BIOS screen. If you got it right, Windows will not boot up and you will not see the Windows start screen on the external monitor. Now press the Fn key + F4 at the same time. This key combination is supposed to change the output from the LCD to the external monitor which should let you see the BIOS screen on the external monitor. See page 50 of your user manual.

#3 Alphomega

Alphomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

No this doesn't work :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

Sorry this didn't work for you. I had a laptop with a broken screen and ran into the same problem. The backlight was out but I used a flashlight on the screen and could just barely make out the bios screen. I could never get the BIOS screen to show on the external monitor. From what I have read the lid switch is under the palm rest of the computer and the magnet is in the lid but I couldn't tell you if a magnet would work or not. I would think a very strong magnet would not be good for the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users