Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wont allow me to open exe files, so cant get security on there

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 kjmoto

kjmoto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hi,

I purchased internet security about 3 weeks ago and when I went to install, it said it cant open the exe file/ file system error. I got the online help that comes with it, and allowed them to attempt to do it remotely, but they too could not do it and said I would need to take the computer to be looked at as it had system issues.  I thought at that point I should start restoring and backing up if I was going to run any helpful programs but when I went to do that through the windows 7 help, it came up error then too and wouldn't allow me to do that.  So I download the malware bytes program as I thought it might allow me some access to put the security on, it downloaded it, but not surprisingly would not open it and an error message came up.Then today the computer wouldn't shut down, and I had to pull the cord.

After some looking around on forums I found out about combo fix and this website. I thought, been not very computer savvy, I could get somebody to help with this before I lug this bleeping computer into town... we live in the country. Any help would be appreciated. thank you, Kjmoto

Edited by kjmoto, 24 September 2014 - 07:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

step1.gif In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/549554 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

step2.gifIf you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.

DDS.com Download Link
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control can be found HERE.

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 kjmoto

kjmoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hi there,

I haven't done anything to try to fix my computer as I didn't think anything could be done on my end. If its corrupt files in the registry or a bug deeply ingrained, that is out of my league, and I don't want to muck around with it.

I tried to download the program to get the log. It appeared to download but at the end came up with an error 107 374 1515 number.

I looked for a recovery disk but am unable to find one. Im running windows 7 32 bit. THis isn't a lot of information I know. Is there anything else I can give you to help?

**I have found a disk with repair 7-32 on it, I imagine that is a recovery disk?

Edited by kjmoto, 30 September 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#4 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:18 AM

Hi kjmoto :)

but not surprisingly would not open it and an error message came up.

What did the error message say? Try to open Malwarebytes again and let me know.

I do not understand the DDS error message so I can't help you there.

It sounds like you might have a exe file association problem.

**I have found a disk with repair 7-32 on it, I imagine that is a recovery disk?

Sounds like it may be an installation or recovery disc, yes. What does the CD say? Did it come with your computer.

Try to run this program: FixExec

Try all 3 versions -- 32 bit version, 64 bit version, and Renamed version.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by thisisu, 01 October 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#5 kjmoto

kjmoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

HI There, Thanks for a response. I tried to run fixexec like you said and this error message came up after it appeared to downloaded. I tried 32bit, 64 bit wouldn't run been incompatible and renamed version came up as error as well.

c:/users/kjmoto/appdata/local/microsoft/windows/temporaryinternetfiles/content.IE5/73EQG7TO/fixexec.exe.

I tried running the malwarebytes, it downloaded and then after it did an error message came up that this  shellexecutefx failed 1073741515""  ( Same number for all the errors)

The CD is just a DVD-R  with repair disk written on it and 7-32. I don't remember ever having the computer repaired in order to have obtained this, but its my writing so someone has made it for me!! lol.

#6 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

Ok, thanks for the error code again.

Try the following:

• Click the Windows "Orb" button.
  • Type cmd.
  • Right click on the search result cmd.exe and click Run as Administrator.
  • Copy the following line of text and paste it into the black box.
    (right-click in the black box and choose paste)

chkdsk c: /r

You should get a message saying "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another

process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"
If so, press Y and then press ENTER

Now restart your system and allow the check disk to run on startup. This will most likely take about an hour to complete depending on the size of your hard drive. Please be patient.
Let me know if there are any problems you encountered along the way

If the check disk scan completes and returns you back to the desktop, please continue with the following:

• Type cmd.
  • Right click on the search result cmd.exe and click Run as Administrator.

sfc /scannow

• Press Enter to run the command. 
    Note: This will also take a while to complete.
  • If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 or more times to completely fix everything that it's able to.

Retrieving SFC /scannow log

• Type cmd.
  • Right click on the search result cmd.exe and click Run as Administrator.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >> "%userprofile%\desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Press Enter to run the command.
  • A text file sfcdetails.txt should appear on your desktop. Post the content of the file in your next reply.

#7 kjmoto

kjmoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

Wow, I would be happy to do all that, but I cant get past the first step. I type in cmd, run as admin and what should come up..

c;/windows/system32/cmd.exe

file system error (-1073741515)       there's that number again....

Is this something I should hand my computer over to someone for? It seems I cant get anything open to help it.

#8 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

It's OK, we just need to try to work while the operating system is offline.

Try the following:

FRST Scan from RECOVERY Environment on Vista, 7, and 8:

On a clean machine, please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:

• Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

==========

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt

==========

Once in the Command Prompt:

• In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

#9 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

Are you still with me?

#10 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users