Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sys. restore, rpc unavailable, no administrator recognition, usb port null?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

Hello out there.

Got a doozy of a problem(s). I have an old dell1000 inspiron laptop with XP home edition that I need to use due to pertinent programs. However, I recently ran into problem(s) that may have been self inflicted. I don't use it to connect to the internet so it was probably something I did. The only thing that I could've done was maybe deleted some network connections or the computer was getting slow and froze up on me and I was stuck in cycle of turning on and off, but barely getting past the window xphome splash screen. A few times windows gave me a blue dos looking screen saying that the computer had problems and needed to shut down...or somewhere along those lines.

I have too many symptoms to nail it to just one. Computer is working, but often freezes up and I have to go through an endless cycle of turning on and off.

-The computer boots normally most of time, but desktop icons and task bar take forever to show.

-I can't system restore what so ever. Error message tells me to restart and try again.

-Any devices such as external mouse or usb flash memory isn't noticed as being connected. Usb flash memory won't show up in "my computer", but will show in defrag...This is worrisome if I have to install anything.

-On that note, can't even defrag. Nothing happens or starts.

-Even though I'm logged in and should have administrative privileges, the computer will not recognize me as one.

-I get "RPC unavailable" a lot.

I can't lose specific software that's on the machine and I did change date and time around several times. The needed programs have been on the machine since 2008 and computer hasn't been used since till now. I'm not a computer savvy person and can't seem to get anything fixed on any levels.

Help would greatly be appreciated and would get me out of this debacle and running.   Thanks so muchd running.   Thanks so much

Edited by allstock, 24 September 2014 - 04:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

The "pertinent programs" you mentioned, how did they get on the PC? CD drive or DL ?

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Cd...a long time ago when everything was working fine. everything is back to normal now though for the time being. Thanks for replying

#4 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

Son of a....I just can't win. Well I read a little more into my reaccuring problem. Has to do with the blue screen of death. I get tht in white dos like fonts

-Win32k.sys page fault non paged area

and

-Win32k.sys Bf801502 base at Bf800000, date stamp 4341dcff

What do I have to do to fix this???

I don't have my os cd anymore. I can barely make it to the desktop screen before it freezes. Seems like I get further and further eachtime after I hard reset the laptop(terrible), but what else short of burning it am I supposed to do?

I'm not good enough to go into regedit and start deleting one file after another If I even recognize them.

I need something plain and simple in black and white spread out for me to repair this thing.

I hate computers.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

I hate computers.

Seconded, Carried nem con.  You are not alone in this sentiment !

Two things I can suggest :

The first is that you change the CMOS battery for a new one given the age of this laptop, and the fact that it has been hiding in a cupboard for quite a long time. The most commonly used type is a CR 2032 - a round flat cell about the size of your thumbnail. They are usually quite easy to get at, even on laptops, but here is a link to a Youtube video on dismantling your computer -

The second is that you run the 'sfc /scannow' at a command prompt - note the space between 'sfc' and the'/' and type it without the quotes. To run the command prompt if your computer will boot normally, you will find it at 'Start - Programs - Accessories - Administrative tools'.  Then RIGHT click on 'Command' and select 'Run as administrator', then type 'sfc /scannow' at the prompt in the black background box that will appear, then press enter.

If you computer will  not boot normally, try booting it in 'Safe mode', normally you get here by tapping the 'F8' key a few times while the BIOS screen is showing - the one with 'Dell' all over it. When you get to 'Safe mode' choose 'Safe mode with command prompt' then you can type this command straight in, then press enter.

This process can take a little while to run, but when it has finished re-boot the computer if it doesn't do it itself and see if there is any improvement. If there isn't, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:16 AM

Hello Chris, thank you much for your help. Did as you suggested and got to the part where unfortunately the cd service pack it asks for,which is long gone. I got this thing second hand as well. Looks like I'm sol. For some reason it it will boot normally and sometimes it will freeze up during the process. Then a hard restart is in order and most of the times works. Sometimes it won't and I'll have to go through the cycle of turning it off and leaving it on while it doesn't boot, but must be doing something after I leave it on like this for a while. Turn off and then on and it will eventually start normally after about ten or fifteen attempts....So pathetic.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

Sorry to be do long getting back on this but I have been away for a fortnight and had virtually no internet access for the last week.

What is the service pack CD it is asking for ?  You can obtain SP3 from MS here :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

And similarly for the other service packs. This does kind of assume you have access to another computer to do the download on. From memory, I have a copy somewhere around, it's a fairly big download, about 250Mb, but you can run it from a CD or memory stick if you can get the laptop to start up for you. MS support for XP ended last April but you can still get the updates to that point from MS as well as the ones that they have released since.

If it becomes necessary in your opinion to do a re-install of XP, so long as you have the COA key - which should be on a sticker somewhere on the machine - you can use a different XP installation disc to do the install. I think with XP it has to be an install disc of the same type as you are using, in your case Home Premium. It just means that once you have re-installed Windows you have to give them a ring to get it authenticated. You can google for your local free call MS number. You may well get some sales talk about the advantages of switching to a 'more modern OS, ie 8.1' but you can ignore that !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users