Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard mouse stopped working after improper shutdown

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gurupreet31

gurupreet31

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:13 AM

Hi,

the issue i am facing--- yesterday my laptop got shutdown because of power loss after that

- on booting win 7 i got a BSoD bad_system_config error three times then
- On my fourth attempt the win7 os started to boot again but the keyboard and mouse were no longer working (both external usb and internal).

My system details--------

asus k53sv laptop with

1. i5 processor 2. 8gb ddr2 ram(2sticks of 4gb) 3. geforce gt540 graphics card 4. 750gb seagate hdd(with 4 partitions(199gb*2 ,288gb*1,10gb*1)

5. 3usb ports(1*usb 3.0 , 2*usb2.0)

I have a dual boot config so Both 199gb partitions have os namely winxp pro and win 7 pro.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

1. Safe mode does not work i.e keyboard mouse do not work(both usb external and internal do not work)

2.win 7 repair found no errors

3.Do not have a Restore point so could not restore it to previous working condition.

4.Tried to shut down laptop remove battery and power and press power button for 20 -25 second release the button then put everything back again..

5.Done online spyware bot scan,Malwarebytes scan, avast free scan.(from win xp)

OBSERVATIONS

1.keyboard mouse work completely fine in BIOS and in win xp.

2.The keyboard light goes off as soon as the win 7 welcome screen is shown.

3.Initially in the second try win 7 os was detecting external keyboard showed installing devices notification but then did nothing.

NOW external usb keyboard and mouse are not detected at all in any of the three usb ports.

what i am trying

1. Find the win 7 startup folder from win xp and add teamviewer shortcut so i can remotely control the PC and remove all keyboard and mouse drivers.

2 There is a BCDEDIT method in win 7 repair regarding BSOD bad config error checking up more on that.

ANY SUGGESTION IS WELCOME AND I WILL BE ONLINE ALL DAY IF U WANT ANY OTHER DETAIL JUST ASK ALSO.I WANT TO TRY EVERYTHING BEFORE FORMATTING.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
NOTE-right now win 7 boots up fine only issue keyboard and mouse not working in both normal mode or safe mode.

Edited by gurupreet31, 24 September 2014 - 02:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

Some laptops have a fn key combo to toggle the mousepad on and off. Does one key have a picture of a mouse on it? If so, press fn and that key at the same time.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 gurupreet31

gurupreet31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

thanks but i tried that.Anyway that key only affects the internal laptop touchpad and not the usb keyboard and mouse attached which are also not working.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

I would try to reinstall the drivers next then.

Frank O' The Mountain

#5 gurupreet31

gurupreet31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

hi frank thanks for the reply.BUT THE ISSUE IS STILL no keyboard or mouse available to do anything once i boot into win 7 safe mode or otherwise.

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Right right, sorry. That's tough one then.

A windows media IR remote maybe? If not, I would throw a different hard drive in and put a quick new test install in. Maybe XP? Just to see if the mouse/kybd comes up during setup and beyond. If it does not, then the power failure may have fried components on your main board, (maybe more). If it does come up, then it's still kind of rough if you can't even do a repair install on your regular OS. All that's left is taking the hard drive to another PC as a slave and then deleting/ or replacing some files. I know there is one file that if deleted, forces windows to re-detect all hardware from scratch.

1.keyboard mouse work completely fine in BIOS and in win xp. So the hardware is working, missed that, sorry.

Where does the keyboard driver come from in bios mode? I guess it's part of the bios. I've never seen a bios that uses a mouse.

If the mouse/kybd is not working in both OSs of your dual boot, this is a very bizarre problem.

Do you know if windows remote desktop is enabled on either OS? It has to be checked off in settings. It uses port 3389 by default, so if you started remote desktop on another PC on your network, you would put IP and port, eg>"192.168.1.123:3389" in the 1st field. Then user/password. You need to know the LAN IP of the sick PC. You also need to open port 3389 in your router for that IP. Select both protocols for now.

Your dual boot setup....are they installed to 2 seperate partitions? Wondering if they are sharing the same driver files.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 24 September 2014 - 12:17 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#7 gurupreet31

gurupreet31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

hi,
win xp works fine i am actually using xp for posting .in short everything works on xp.But it has no sw installed as it was a backup os.
xp is 32 bit and win 7 is 64 bit.So drivers are diffrent.

Even if my drivers were corrupt in win 7 i stiil need a input device.Anyhow Remote desktop service is not default enabled in win 7 so cant use that i was trying to add teamviewer in startup but apparently uac prevents that.

i can enable remote desktop on win xp but will it remain connected after i shut down win xp and move to other OS.

Also i was trying to find out if there was any way i could use bcdedit windows application to add teamviewer to startup do let me know if u have any idea about that.
thanks

Edited by gurupreet31, 24 September 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

No, the remote connection will be reset when you reboot. Well it's good that XP works, I thought both were being freaky!

This guy deleted 2 files, and it fixed it: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/329550-28-keyboard-mouse-working-windows

I would save the files to xp OS and reboot to 7 & see if it works. If it doesn't, put them back.

I also read about one guy who unplugged the PC and waited until the mobo led went out, (about 1 minute) then the problem was fixed. He said it sounded crazy, but it worked after weeks of trying many things. Freak logic error... Worth a try if you have not done so already. http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/192914-usb-keyboard-mouse-do-not-work-once-windows-starts.html I know you did the battery thing already. Maybe wait a little longer with battery out.

Other options: An add on pcmcia card with a usb port. Did you try plugging a usb tower keyboard in? Or mouse?

More ideas: http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/usb-mouse-and-keyboard-not-working-in-windows/

Yet another:http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-50734-mouse-and-keyboard-failure

"If you have problems with the USB keyboard and mouse, copy these three files from your pc (they are Windows' USB drivers):
a. Hccoin.dll (c:\WINDOWS\system32)
The following are found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers)
b. Usbehci.sys
c. Usbhub.sys
d. Usbport.sys
5. Copy them to their respective locations via floppy (yes, I said floppy) or cd by booting to an MS-DOS prompt
6. Once you have them copied – the USB keyboard and mouse will work (verified this today)"

(I thought maybe you could replace these win7 files while on your XP installation).

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 24 September 2014 - 02:27 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#9 gurupreet31

gurupreet31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

hey frank thanks again for so many ideas,

I have tried delete 2 file method.(did not work)
tried usb tower keyboard.(did not work)
tried 3 file copy from another win7 pc method.(did not work)
kisokea thread done (max issues solved with power off)
YET TO TRY
-techrepublic thread left
-will arrange a pcmcia card in the morning after 7 hours probably (right now its 3 am).

FOR NOW I WILL UNPLUG AND RENOVE MY BATTERY FOR FEW HOURS WHILE I SLEEP.THEN TRY AGAIN MAYBE AFTER 4 HOURS.

THANKS FOR THE EFFORT APPRECIATE IT MAN.
gn for now.

Edited by gurupreet31, 24 September 2014 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users