Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to replace router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ClearWillow

ClearWillow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:16 AM

The router I've been using for years finally decided to quit working yesterday, a NetGear WGR614 v7 model, and while I'm using a loaner from a family member for the time being I'd really rather buy a new one. The problem is, routers aren't something I know much about, and I'm not in a position where I can keep going back and forth to the store to find one that works.

We have two tower PCs, a laptop, and a Wii that would use the router, but the primary focus is the two PCs. The newest is a refurbished Compaq Persario SR5023WM  running Windows 7 Ultimate, and the other is a Dell Dimension 3000 (I think - it's old) that has Windows XP SP3. This old NetGear router worked fine with both of them. I think it was just worn out, and I'm not even certain the person that originally bought it got it new.

I've been looking around and I found a NetGear N150 router that looks almost exactly what give out on me. I was feeling fine about this one until I looked at the back. It might just be paranoia on my part, but the port for the modem looks bigger than the other ports. Seeing 'ethernet adapter and cable for each computer' under system requirements confused me further. I have what I think are standard ethernet cables for both computers, but I'm not sure what it's meaning by adapter, because I think of some small thing that would be used to fit the older cable into a slot for a newer kind. I compared these specs to the old model and saw the same thing, so maybe that's not something to be too concerned with. Still, I keep looking at those ethernet ports and thinking they're smaller... I don't know. Have the cable fittings become smaller, or is it just the color-coded port that is throwing me off?

I don't do a lot of heavy-gaming or streaming of movies on the computers. They're mostly used for my college courses, communication with art commissioners, and other basic work. I'll occasionally play Facebook games or watch videos on Youtube, but I don't need a super-strong router. Like I said, the old one we had worked fine for these things, so I was just trying to find something similar (but y'know, new). Also I know I sound like a complete dweeb about this, but for all the stuff I know how to fix on computers, routers aren't it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:49 AM

The black is slimming. That bright yellow makes it look bigger. They're all the same size. That is a good basic home router.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ClearWillow

ClearWillow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:45 AM

That's what I was hoping, though looking back on it I sound like a ninny. ;) Thank you for your help! I've got it ordered and on the way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users