I’ve been trying to recover my computer by myself for over six weeks and am finally asking for help. I know I’ve probably caused much more damage by doing so.
I was trying to get my files organized – I wasn’t the system administrator and was having problems with my user profile.
- I tried to get on to Windows server 2008 – start a domain! (I’m a single computer in my home with two others who need to share the printer occasionally.)
- Lost my User profile and the restore point I had set before I started. – Lost everything under that profile – meaning……everything! – Three years of research, a book I’ve been writing for years……
- I started following the Microsoft Tech directions for changing the settings for domain administrators – I messed with a lot of “group settings.” --- Creating an even deeper maze that I couldn’t figure my way out of.
- Mapped a network file
- Did a “sync”
- Ended up with all my files being encoded – either encrypted as per some action of mine or hijacked by a cryping virus.
- NetAdapter Repair All in One
- Did Crypto Virus research on your site – Did not use ListCWall utility because a lot of other risky steps that had to be taken first. – Lost me!
- Junkware Removal Tool.
- Windows Repair
- Driver Fusion
- Process Explorer
- Probably a few more
- I wiped the hard drive. (Using a thumb drive, as per instructions.) My CD drive has been obliterated – quite a while ago - no sign of it anywhere, no matter which drivers or software I’ve put on the task.
- I reinstalled Windows 7 professional – found my key somewhere in ancient emails (online).
- The disk drives did not install properly.
- I downloaded all the Toshiba drives, etc. that were recommended. (Ran some software to see if there were any conflicts.)
** FRST – Can’t be run because no matter where I save it - it says that the word pad results have to be stored where FRST was first launched. I tried multiple times to match them. (No idea what my primary drive is anymore or what the “network” really means.
** TestDisk – Found that I had no partitions
** Process Explorer – Revealed a lot of things I don’t understand – regardless of the excellent tutor files on your site. I did try to compare many of the questionable files with “Virus Total” as well as the “online” option, but I’m afraid of making a bigger mess.
** My “network” is a mess – mostly because I thought I understood the differences between Home, domain, public……. I now realize I have no clue what the different network concepts are – and SO don’t care anymore.
** I just want my computer and documents back. Please help me.
I did put all my files on a separate hard drive (USB connection).
And, I use my computer to work 9 hours a day teaching English to executives in Korea. I depend on it – desperately need it to work – not to mention all my personal files in which I’ve invested years & half my heart.
I know this is a jumbled mess. If there is someone with the patience to help me, I promise to do exactly as I’m told and stop farting around with the innards of this ISIS machine. (Please know that I’m clueless. I thought I’d learned a lot through all of this but I’ve accepted that I’ll never “get” computers and the flow of logic they require. Please assume ignorance and instruct as you would a five-year-old!)
Thank you sincerely,
…….and please help me.
Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2014 - 09:39 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.