Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dualbooting Windows 98 With 8 Installed First

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sonic_944

sonic_944

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

I've found this game I want to play but it only works in 98. Compatibility mode wont work. Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

Good luck

I have a multi-boot with operating systems on separate HDDs but I started with W7 and added W8 later

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 sonic_944

sonic_944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Also, is it possible to DB a .vhd? I'm new to DBing.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

It might be if you are trying to do it with W7 and W8. I'm very unsure of trying it with W98 - too much of a technology difference to reside on the same drive and play well with W8

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 sonic_944

sonic_944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Cool! I could be the first one to do this. Thanks I will.

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

It is possible to dual boot all OSs, but it can be very tricky in reverse order. Make sure you back up your Win8 installation offline first, so you could always go back.

I have a laptop with XP/WIN7/WIN8,

and another with WIN98/XP

If you are installing Win98 on newer hardware, it can be very difficult finding drivers, and there are other things like editing the system.ini file so it only uses 512 of ram, using the setup.exe /p i switch when installing, partition size limits, etc. I'd just find some old POS from 1998 and enjoy.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, the drivers are sure to be a nightmare.

In this case, I'd have to believe that it would be easier to set up 98 as a virtual system.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 sonic_944

sonic_944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

I don't know much about DBing, but for the Virtual box emulation it's extremely slow.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

I can see it being slow, but wouldn't a Win 98 game be so light, that it might work like a charm?

I'm not suggesting that I know how it might work.

Im just asking if it makes sense to conclude that so little power would be needed for a 98 game, that running it in the virtual world might work quite well.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

You can also install Virtual PC 2007 onto Win8.1 64bit. (Win8 has a built in version if your processor supports it, but mine does not, so I am installing Virtual PC 2007 which is not officially supported) No guarantees this will work on your system, but here goes for me.....

I'm going to do it right now, and detail it.

First I read this: http://www.daniel-mitchell.com/blog/run-virtual-pc-in-windows-8-bypass-compatibility-assistant/

Then did this:
run gpedit, then go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility

You need to enable both "Turn Off Application Compatibility Engine" and "Turn Off Program Compatibility Assistant". (set both of these to enabled, apply, and reboot). (you could also open an elevated cmd prompt, then type> "gpupdate /force"
without quotes, to update the group policy settings without rebooting. "updating policy/success"). That's what I did.

I read that some people installing virtual pc on win8 got a BSD, but there are known fixes if this occurs. I am going to forge on.

Please back up your data and installation if you are feeling nervous in any way.

Next, I downloaded virtual pc 07: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4580 (I chose 64 bit since my os is 64 bit win 8.1) I rt clicked the file setup.exe and unblocked it. If you try to start it, you get an error about compatibility. If you rename the file "whatever.exe", it works. Go through the install. There is also a security warning, which I chose to continue on.

You have to rename Virtual PC.exe something else or you'll get the error again. I named it VPC.exe (it's at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Virtual PC\Virtual PC.exe)

I made a shortcut to the desktop after renaming the exe. Don't start it yet!

I read here: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325660#p325660
that you need to replace a file in order for it to run correctly. vmm.sys

This is the file for 64 bit: http://1dl.us/Ff4

The file is in windows/system32/drivers folder (you can rename the original one in there to vmm.old first, so you could restore it later if needed, then paste the new vmm.sys in there.

You need to reboot at this point or you will get a BSD when trying to make a new virtual machine!

Open virtual pc.

I got a message about a virtual pc networking error, that can be fixed, but I don't care about networking inside of virtual pc at this point.

Add a new machine (win98) by using a win98 install disk.

That's what I did, and it works. Now I'm going to install win98. It works!01.jpg

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 23 September 2014 - 09:38 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#11 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

It's not super fast, but it's working OK. What game are you trying to play?

Frank O' The Mountain

#12 sonic_944

sonic_944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

You can also install Virtual PC 2007 onto Win8.1 64bit. (Win8 has a built in version if your processor supports it, but mine does not, so I am installing Virtual PC 2007 which is not officially supported) No guarantees this will work on your system, but here goes for me.....

I'm going to do it right now, and detail it.

First I read this: http://www.daniel-mitchell.com/blog/run-virtual-pc-in-windows-8-bypass-compatibility-assistant/

Then did this:
run gpedit, then go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility

You need to enable both "Turn Off Application Compatibility Engine" and "Turn Off Program Compatibility Assistant". (set both of these to enabled, apply, and reboot). (you could also open an elevated cmd prompt, then type> "gpupdate /force"
without quotes, to update the group policy settings without rebooting. "updating policy/success"). That's what I did.

I read that some people installing virtual pc on win8 got a BSD, but there are known fixes if this occurs. I am going to forge on.

Please back up your data and installation if you are feeling nervous in any way.

Next, I downloaded virtual pc 07: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4580 (I chose 64 bit since my os is 64 bit win 8.1) I rt clicked the file setup.exe and unblocked it. If you try to start it, you get an error about compatibility. If you rename the file "whatever.exe", it works. Go through the install. There is also a security warning, which I chose to continue on.

You have to rename Virtual PC.exe something else or you'll get the error again. I named it VPC.exe (it's at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Virtual PC\Virtual PC.exe)

I made a shortcut to the desktop after renaming the exe. Don't start it yet!

I read here: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325660#p325660
that you need to replace a file in order for it to run correctly. vmm.sys

This is the file for 64 bit: http://1dl.us/Ff4

The file is in windows/system32/drivers folder (you can rename the original one in there to vmm.old first, so you could restore it later if needed, then paste the new vmm.sys in there.

You need to reboot at this point or you will get a BSD when trying to make a new virtual machine!

Open virtual pc.

I got a message about a virtual pc networking error, that can be fixed, but I don't care about networking inside of virtual pc at this point.

Add a new machine (win98) by using a win98 install disk.

That's what I did, and it works. Now I'm going to install win98. It works!01.jpg

Cool! Thank you! Is it possible to install sound drivers and the lot through there?

It's not super fast, but it's working OK. What game are you trying to play?

"Sonic 3D Blast". I've been looking to download the PC version for years and years now. I found it, but it said "piracy check failed".

#13 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

Everything is working including network.

Frank O' The Mountain

#14 sonic_944

sonic_944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

Back with an update. 'gpedit.msc' wont run. It said this error:

"Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again". I checked and the spelling's right but same error.

#15 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

What version of Windows are you using? Nevermind.

Download this sega emulator:  http://www.emulator-zone.com/download.php/emulators/genesis/fusion/Fusion364.zip

Then download the rom: http://download.freeroms.com/gen_roms/15/sonic3d.zip

Working fine for me on win8.1

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 25 September 2014 - 05:13 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users