Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Typing letters messed up

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Well I've got this computer... 

It has this thing that if i click like K it comes up IK.

The point is if i type a letter it types another word.

Heres some examples:

Typing K comes up IK.

Backspacing comes with an apostrophe.

Help needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Did you spill anything on the keyboard? even if you dired it up the keyboard could still get damaged.

#3 Laith225

Laith225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

I don't know. Im talking about my friend's computer. I said the samething. I think he said once i spilled coffee in it. I tried to remove the components of the laptop but one was too hard. I untied all the things. But still it wasn't removable. But anyways if i get it open should i clean it with alcohol? Is beer ok?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:45 PM

I cannot tell you what to clean it with because I do not know that.

I can tell you do not use beer. It contains ingredients that convert to sugar. Sugar is one of the worst things you can spill on a keyboard. It leaves sugar deposits. Beer used to clean it would do the same thing. The purpose is to clean up whatever spilled, not put even more on it.

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

We do have a cleaning method that is successful 9 out of 10 times.

The problem is that it takes 3 days and some poeple would rather just make an overnight order for a replacement keyboard.

Do you know the make and model?

In case you'd like to fix it yourself, you must first remove the keyboard (youtube videos will assist you and them soak the keyboard in hot water (no soap, just water), not so hot so as to burn your hand, but close. Periodically, heat it up as it cools off.

Before taking it out of the water after its 24 hour bath, type on the key, click clack them around, making sure that none of them feel sticky.

Once done, now it's drying time.

You must NOT blow hot air to get it to dry faster as it will measly damage the innards.

If you have no heat source to help it dry faster, then take the full 2 days for it to dry and then it will be ready to try.

As mentioned, a couple of my tech friends and I have been keeping track and we're running a 90% success rate.

One of the guys, actually does his in a dishwasher.

I don't recommend it myself, as some machines could easily trash the whole keyboard with the force of their water jets.

Edited by rockysosua, 23 September 2014 - 04:20 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 Laith225

Laith225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestions people!

#7 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

Is your computer a laptop or a desktop.  If it's a laptop, try an external usb keyboard and try the same letter or letters again.  If it works ok, chances are it's your INTERNAL keyboard and you need to replace it or try rocky's 3 day rinse and dry out method.  Fortunately, laptop keyboards are cheap; usually under $15.  It will cost you about $30-$60 to get it replaced if you take to a shop. 

If it's a desktop, try a different keyboard.  If the problem persists, it could be a software or hardware issue.  Easiest thing to do would be to backup all of your personal data to external media and reset the computer to factory settings.  This is commonly done with factory RECOVERY DISCS or a built-in RECOVERY PARTITION on modern computers.  Allow 2-3 days to do this.  Or pay a local Computer Pro to do for you. 

If reinstall of Windows corrects the problems, your done!   If that doesn't work you most likely have either a hard drive failure or a RAM failure.  Post back if you're interested in free diagnostics you can use to narrow that down. :lol:

BIGBEARJEDI

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 24 September 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#8 Laith225

Laith225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:29 AM

No he is running with an external keyboard. It is working fine.  The only failure is when I'm trying to play with him. The keyboard is to small. That is why he asked me if i could fix it.

#9 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:43 AM

You didn't say whether he has a desktop or a laptop.  This is important. 

So the error with the letter "K" occurs on his computer or yours?  I'm confused here.  His keyboard works fine until he plays online gaming with you?  That doesn't make sense.  If you open notepad in Windows on his computer, can he type all the characters on the keyboard correctly? 

If when he goes on line with you and one or more letters fails; that's more likely a software issue.  He'll need to reinstall Windows.  Test his hard drive and RAM as well.  Replacing his keyboard for this type of issue most likely will NOT resolve his problem.  He either has a corruption in his Windows, or he contracted a virus/malware, or he is experiencing a hardware failure.  You'll have to do more troubleshooting to narrow that kind of problem down. 

You mentioned small keyboard, so I am guessing he has a laptop.  As in my post above, this is an inexpensive repair; $15 or less.  But, if he has any of the problems I mentioned above, replacing his keyboard WON'T fix the problem.  Also, you said his keyboard was working fine..how did you determine that?

BIGBEARJEDI

#10 Laith225

Laith225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:52 AM

He is fine (laptop) he uses a external keyboard. That keyboard is fine but small he is uncomfortable playing games with it. I have reinstalled Windows 7 2 times. That didn't work. It most likely the spills fault. The main keyboard is the one typing the weird letters.

#11 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for getting back on the type of computer your friend has (laptop).  Now it's time to re-read the 3rd paragraph of Post #9 to further troubleshoot his problem.  You've reinstalled Windows7 twice and it has not resolved the problem.  That means that it's most likely the Internal *Main* keyboard that needs to be replaced; see my 4th paragraph.  It's an under $15 part to replace!

Before I would order that part for your friend or you make him order it; I suggest you test the RAM and hard drive as per my suggestion in the 3rd paragraph.  That doesn't cost you anything, and if you pop for the $15 new keyboard and replace it for him and the problem persists since it's elsewhere in the internal hardware, you are gonna be quite embarassed!!  Run the free tests I mention at least, and if they fail, you'll know that the spill could have easily damaged MORE than just the keyboard.  If those free tests pass, then I'd replace the internal keyboard *$15* at that point. 

If either of the free tests fail, replace the appropriate number of bad RAM sticks and/or the hard drive, and reinstall Windows7 with the new keyboard and you should be (he should be) good to go!  :thumbsup:

Narrowing down the problem with a minimum of cost is always your best bet with troubleshooting laptops (or any computers).

Cheers!  :thumbup2:

BBJ

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 24 September 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#12 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

And don't forget that the keyboard can be washed in hot water, so that might help you determine if you truly need a new keyboard or not.

For instance, your keyboard might be doing 5 weird things now.

If you washed it and it didn't cure it 100% and there was still one key messed up, at least you'd know that the problem is definitely the keyboard and ordering a new one is the thing to do.

If the wash job works to perfection, then the problem is solved.

All is well in Paradise.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Distilled water is preferable for washing keyboards. They tend to last longer afterwards.

#14 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

You'd think that distilled water would be essential, but it's not.

I'm 9 for 10 in fixing dysfunctional keyboards in normal hot water and one of my friends, does his in a dishwasher, if you can believe that.

He tells me that he gets approx. a 90% success rate too.

All is well in Paradise.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

I believe tap water works, my experience with washing phones also tells me that distilled water will perform better in the long run. (ahh, the good old days when we could accidentally launder our mobile phones and get away with it.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users