Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a name for this multi-LCD screen concept?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrwillverine

mrwillverine

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hi all (new to this forum),

I'd like some advice / suggested keywords to lookup so I can do further research on the following project:

Objective: Hook up 6 LCD monitors (taken from old laptops) to either my Raspberry Pi or laptop. All screens mounted to a wall. Each screen focusses on a particular topic / feed (e.g Weather, Stocks, Property Alerts, etc.).

I'd like to use screens taken out of old laptops so I'd need a VGA to LCD interface. But one for each screen seems like a pain (and expensive), is there a better way of doing this?

I'd like the user interface of each screen to be simple, like the applications found on smartphones.

As an example, I'd like property alerts from a UK website called Zoopla. Is there software which already offers simplified feed interfaces for this site? Or would I need to custom code these feeds using API's? I'm not a programmer so some direction on where to research this would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

I don't have most of the answers but you can use a desktop with a couple of add-in high end graphics cards to drive four monitors. You will need to work out how to connect laptop monitors to the cards which are expecting DVI connections. Power for the monitors will be another project as the graphics connections do not have the ability to transmit the necessary power to the laptop monitors. Don't forget to get a high wattage power supply for the desktop AND a couple of extra fans as your rig is going to generate HEAT.

As for an operating system I think Windows 8.x has the ability to cope with your needs. You will need to maximize your RAM to keep all of these things looking good.

That's about all I can offer without taking some serious time to research the specifics of the project.

Stay well and surf safe

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users