Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to set for Inbound signals

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Magnarider

Magnarider

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

I am trying to configure my computer so that it will not accept inbound signals from almost anyone. I only want to use the computer for web browsing. I want my computer to be private from other users and I do not want antone else on my home network to be able to access my computer. I dont want remote access or sharing either am I in the right place to do this? I have a screenshot of the inbound rules so far but I am unsure what needs to be done. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

Before you lock your self out of the computer I would suggest a different approach.

Make sure your account and the administrator account passwords are only known to you.

Google In Private browsing so you know how to use IE to do this.

Sharing is not enabled by default so unless you turn it on you have no issues there. 

If you want you can block the other lan computers on your network by name in the firewall.

Make sure you practicing safe computing and that you keep up on your service pacs and antivirus updates.

#3 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

How do I block the pther computers by name?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

You set a deny for say Sallys PC [or what ever name the other computer(s) are in the windows firewall.

#5 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

OK Can I block a work VPN from entering my computer?

Thanks

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

OK Can I block a work VPN from entering my computer?

Thanks

If you're not sharing no access is given. If you do share files you can secure it as much as you want on your end. However, as far as the VPN is concerned, It's likely the work VPN doesn't allow client SAMBA/CIFS shares anyways. Unless you are sandboxed to your directory only. It all depends on the security policies of the work VPN and domain AD and what they allow you to have access to. Clients and work area's would likely be broken down into subnets/VLANS and sharing between those network subnets is non existant. There is a reason for that. You wouldn't want a client dropping malware and viruses on the network. Or a client in the Warehouse Department having access to the Administration Office and visa versa.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

Your vpn connection is to the work place server.  This means you are a vpn client.  You would have to be a vpn server for work to connect to you.

So exactly what is it you are concerned about?

#8 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

I dont want any thing unescessary to be coming in on an inbound signal. I only want to have inbound signals that are required. I also dont want my work VPN to be able to access my home computer. I work at home and my work VPN is plugged into my home network so that I can do my work at home. Im worried that my work can see my home network if they wanted to and I want to block them from having access to my home network if they do have access. Im not sure if they do or not.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

They won't have access to your home network.  They can have access to your pc but you can't stop that without disabling the vpn.  I am sure they outline in a policy what they do and don't do.  Might want to ask them.

#10 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

So your saying that they can access my pc here at home?

THANKS

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

A vpn is a two way tunnel.  So technically speaking yes they can connect to your pc.  I would suggest you review what their policies are in this regard.  You may have nothing to be concerned about.

#12 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

OK So can I use my home pc to connect to the work VPN? If I can how would I do that with my home PC and not my work PC?

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:39 PM

OK So can I use my home pc to connect to the work VPN? If I can how would I do that with my home PC and not my work PC?

Go to start and type VPN.

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

"If I can how would I do that with my home PC and not my work PC?"

Sorry you lost me.  You never mentioned a "work pc" previously.  You have this work pc at home?  and its the one with the vpn connection?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 26 September 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#15 Magnarider

Magnarider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

Yes the work PC is here at home and it has the VPN connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users