Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo, not able to boot and install Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marty12

Marty12

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

Helllo everone,

I came here to ask you for help. I have bought a brand new Lenovo E440 without OS. I have tried to install Windows 8 onto the HD but without luck. This lenovo has built in UEFI BIOS Windows 8 optimal settings but it simple doesn't work.

I have tried everything. Starting from editing boot order list, disabling secure boot or even turning on and of UEFI / Legacy support.

Issue is that when I plug in the USB with Windows 8 installation, it just freezes at Lenovo logo and nothing happens. When I remove the USB it continues to the boot up. It seems that the laptop doesn't recognize installation files on the USB but the USB installation itself is fine. I have tried it on my desktop and no problem.

Installing Windows 7 with legacy support enabled works.

Does anyone of you know what it could be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

How did you purchase this Lenovo without a operating system?

Did you purchase a copy Windows 8 with a product key?

You posted that you had edited the boot order, did you make the first boot device a USB device and the hdd the second?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Marty12

Marty12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

I have bought it from local Lenovo reseller. My university provides us with any Windows licence we want for the time we study there.

Ofcourse I have set Flash atop of HDD.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

If you can install Windows 7 with the legacy support enabled, you should be able to install Windows 8.

What happens when you attempt to install Windows 8 with the legacy support enabled?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Marty12

Marty12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

Same issue. Lenovo l

#6 Marty12

Marty12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Same issue. Lenovo logo pops up and it stays on the screen. Nothing happens until I remove the USB stick.

#7 Marty12

Marty12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

If you can install Windows 7 with the legacy support enabled, you should be able to install Windows 8.

Are you really sure about this? From what I know is that Windows 8 has totally different installation files which require newer UEFI BIOS.

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

A wild guess for a wild situation.

Have you tried plugging the USB thumbdrive into all of the USB ports on your machine?

If you truly can't get it to install from that flash drive and you're 100% convinced that it works on any other machine, then it might be time to download a WIn 8 or 8.1 ISO, burn it onto a DVD and install it from there.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Check for a bios update?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

Are you really sure about this? From what I know is that Windows 8 has totally different installation files which require newer UEFI BIOS.

I have Windows 8 installed using the legacy support.

Check for a bios update?

There is a BIOS update dated 9/18/24

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds037207

#11 Marty12

Marty12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

Okay so I was able to install Windows 8.1 through DVD media but I was not able to update BIOS. I can't find any BIOS update section...

#12 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

If you feel the need to update your bios, you can go to lenovo.com, to support, downloads, put in your model number and you'll find it there.

As your machine is working OK now, perhaps you should leave the bios alone.

All is well in Paradise.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

If you feel the need to update your bios, you can go to lenovo.com, to support, downloads, put in your model number and you'll find it there.

As your machine is working OK now, perhaps you should leave the bios alone.

rockysosua, I posted a link to the Lenovo download website which has the BIOS update in post #10.  You would benefit by reading for content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users