Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange system behavior WINDOWS 7 Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nitrous2000

Nitrous2000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi guys,

I'm not even completely certain how to describe this problem. My friend has a win 7 system running without trouble (updated antivirus program running).

A month or so ago, he shut down his system while he went for vacation. When he returned, the computer had reverted to a previous time. List a lot of documents, some programs etc. I couldn't find anything wrong. Antivirus scan was negative. No system restore options worked (I tried but each attempt ended in "unable to restore - try another point").

We moved on until yesterday, after completing a marathon MS office word session using Teamviewer to remotely collaborate. Before he could email me the document (we ran a Verizon FiOS optimizer program), the program completed with a reboot. After the reboot, his computer had reverted to a period PRIOR to the last problem time. Ie when an previous screen saver ran. He lost the critical document we had worked on for 4 hrs.

There never was any reboot screen that sounds at all like a system restore. He did not "click" any options post (or pre for that matter) boot.

I'm not near him to look more closely at his system. He isn't at all tech savvy. Any insights would be appreciated. I haven't got a clue what's going on. I've never seen this before.

Thanks
Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

Well, Im not sure about this kinda problem...

Well my best advice i can give is to download Speecy install it and give us the link.

Try to update some drivers too...

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

You could try using Recuva to see if you can recover the document.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

To those who know more than I do could the CMOS battery a suspect?

I know a failing battery can change the date on the computer. What doesn't quite fit is that the computer reverted to a previous time which is what a system restore does yet no system restore was done.

A bad CMOS battery can cause all sorts of strange things to happen.

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

It's quite simple. Your friend didn't save the document before the reboot, be it for a system reboot or any other type of reboot, thus the document got lost.

If no system restore occurred, the document should be shown in the unsaved column to the left as you close and save your next open document.

Do you understand what I am talking about?

PS: Your friend could try a few of the latest system restores to see if that unsaved document prompt comes up, as detailed above. Often times, when you go back into the system restore feature, the top one on the list will be "undo my last restore" and that would be the one of choice.

Edited by rockysosua, 23 September 2014 - 04:10 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 Nitrous2000

Nitrous2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

It's quite simple. Your friend didn't save the document before the reboot, be it for a system reboot or any other type of reboot, thus the document got lost.
If no system restore occurred, the document should be shown in the unsaved column to the left as you close and save your next open document.
Do you understand what I am talking about?

PS: Your friend could try a few of the latest system restores to see if that unsaved document prompt comes up, as detailed above. Often times, when you go back into the system restore feature, the top one on the list will be "undo my last restore" and that would be the one of choice.

Thanks for your comments. The point that seems to have been missed in your solution is explaining the fact that the system completely reverted to a previous version. The screen saver was gone over 1 month ago. Now, post reboot, it's back and several applications are now gone (those installed in the past month). Finally, your explanation for Word 2013 doesn't consider the fact that he did multiple saves while we were working on it.

Does it still seem as simple as you have suggested?

As far as the CMOS possibility, I would expect if CMOS related, the date would have reverted to a default. Date/time is correct.
Dell harware diagnostics is ok, as well.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far.

Doug

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

It was the most logical guess and i have seen it many times.

So let's address these unwanted unscheduled System Restores that are occurring.

Can you confirm that is what is happening?

If so, there is a tiny possibility of a Windows fix by way of a special command, but it would be much more likely to find out that a virus or malware is causing this absurd behaviour.

What do you think?

All is well in Paradise.

#8 Nitrous2000

Nitrous2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

I suspected system restore but the computer owner is absolutely certain that there were no screens that he saw post shutdown.
He certainly is adamant he never intervened IE clicked any run/continue windows boxes. It's almost as if the system is booting from an alternative image.

Trouble is he's in Washington DC and I'm in Toronto on the other side of the border.

What ever I do, I have to be able to watch it via TeamViewer R similar remote viewing software. I just don't know any that work at the boot level.

Doug

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

I don't know of any that will work outside the parameters of Windows, so how about trying a bit of fixing.

We don't know why this is happening, so we could attact it from a generalized perspective.

An attempt to fix the actual Windows system,

Copy and paste   sfc /scannow  into a command box with administrators rights.

Schedule a diskcheck/repair.

You can do that by command too, if you like.   chkdsk /r C:

Download and install Free Malwarebytes and Free Superantispyware.

Please be careful to not accept the trial version during installation.

Once installed, scan and remove any baddies.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

As far as the CMOS possibility, I would expect if CMOS related, the date would have reverted to a default. Date/time is correct.
Dell harware diagnostics is ok, as well.

That's why I said it doesn't fit with the CMOS battery theory and asked those who know more than I do about it. I just threw it out for consideration and have no problem with it being dismissed.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:14 PM

One possibility is perhaps the OS isn't saving the registry settings when the computer shuts down, and so it reboots from an older set of settings.

Is there a partition on the hard drive that contains an old backup image of the hard drive? If there is, check the BIOS to determine the boot order and make sure it's not booting from that partition.

#12 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:54 AM

I've seen this problem numerous times.  Client goes on Vacation for several days or weeks, comes back after not having used his computer at all during that time.  Things have changed, sometimes there will be a System Restore confirmation success box, other times, just stuff is GONE.  This frequently occurs after the weekly Microsoft patch Tuesday occurs.  In 1 week's time period there can easily be 200-300 updates downloaded into your computer; depending on the settings.  Many of my Clients turn off MS Update completely, and only download/install updates once a year if that due to all the negative press about the MS Updates.

In this case you are darned if you do, and darned if you don't.  You need to updates from M$ as they keep hackers out of your system.  If you install the updates on automatic, every couple of Months M$ throws out a bad update out of 30-40 updates, and it causes problems with systems that have other corruption issues in Windows or their browsers.  Or they have a virus that is blocking the updates coming in *these are quite prevalent this year*. 

After the file/restore recovery methods suggested above, I suggest he backup all his personal data from that computer to external media and completely reinstall Windows (factory reset) using either RECOVERY DISCS or BUILT-IN RECOVERY PARTITION.  Most modern computers have both of these. 

If the problem reoccurs sometime in the next 30-60 days of M$ updates coming in on a weekly basis; his computer is probably scrambled and needs to be professionally serviced.  At this point in the Game, I would suspect a faulty hard drive or RAM stick.  Those can be easily tested with free utilities such as Memtest & Seatools.  Since your friend is not Tekky; I would suggest he take it to a Computer Pro. 

Of course, after the factory reset and 60 days goes by without another mysterious System Restore and reboot; things were software scrambled and are now ok.

BIGBEARJEDI

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 24 September 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#13 Nitrous2000

Nitrous2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks Bigbearjedi!
Just to add insult to injury, the darn thing reverted to the "lost" version. All seems well now. The mess did occur after an update.
I'm inclined to replace the HD on spec and just reinstall everything.
It's a little frightening that Microsoft can have this sort of problems. Makes Apple seem quite attractive

Thanks
Doug

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2014 - 11:45 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#14 richardsonkane

richardsonkane

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:32 AM

This sounds really strange, but it turns out my USB headset has gone bad, and is sending 'volume up' instructions as though I have my finger on the volume up button. which seems to be somehow responsible for all my problems.  I disconnect the headset, and everything's better.  At least I figured this out before I went so far as reinstalling my OS, I had already done a system restore to no avail :)

It may be that your install of 32-bit was simply corrupted somehow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users