Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Reformated And Something Is Different

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:23 AM

when i first used this computer, the thing asked me "how do u wish to connect to the

internet"

1-dial-up
2-cable/dsl
3-lan

since i had dial-up at the time, i chose dial-up. when i would connect, i would get an icon showing 2 computers that would blink blue by the clock.

...then one day i got a wireless adapter. the thing said to put in the cd BEFORE puting in the pci card. and i did.

then whenever i used to connect with the wireless network, i would get an icon of a computer with 3 green waves on the side.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/Spe...128/desktop.jpg < look by the clock and see.

oh, and when i clicked on the icon, a thing came up. and when i clicked PROPERTIES, it gave me THIS:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/Spe...28/networks.gif
====================================

well now i just reformated and it asked me the 3 choices again:

1-dial-up
2-cable/dsl
3-lan

this time i chose the LAN one. i dont know if that was correct. its not DIRECTLY connected to the cable modem. it comes from a router first.

well, i did some stuff, and now it looks like THIS:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/Spe...128/plzhelp.jpg

i dont have that icon with the 3 green waves anymore. now it looks just like it did when i used dial-up. with 2 computers icon at the bottom. it also shows a little black STICK-like icon which ive circled. ive never seen that before.

and now when i click on the computers icon and go to PROPERTIES, i dont get that list like i did before. i just get this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/Spe...8/plzhelp22.jpg

=================================================

i wish things were back to the way they were before. i wonder if this is bc i chose the wrong choice in the begining. maybe LAN was a bad choice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:52 AM

i posted this on another board and according to this guy, it is bc i had service pack 2 back then.

http://boards.ign.com/pc_games_lobby/b7203/119359961/p1/?1

he may be right.

#3 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

So, are you saying you don't have SP2 now? If not, why not? Download it now.

#4 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:50 PM

So, are you saying you don't have SP2 now? If not, why not? Download it now.

i asked that other guy why HE didnt, and he said he thinks it slows down your computer. i dont know if i believe that, but that was coming from someone who knows about computers.

now im scared to download it. Posted Image

#5 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:33 AM

Not having SP2 wil leave you vulnerable to a variety of security holes and problems. They will slow down your computer more than having SP2.

How you set up your internet connection during Windows installation shouldn't effect how you use it later. You can change the set up manually.

You need to go into your Network Connections, via Control Panel. Look for the wireless connection, right-click it and select Enable.

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:02 PM

that is very true about SP2. it has a lot of network updates and plugs vulnerabilities in, well everywhere, lets face it, microsoft has been the target of explotation forever. on the other hand, it does make your system more resource hungry, but just add another 256m of ram or so, and you will be smokin'. when i have a system come in to the shop and they dont have SP2, i install it, and after that there is still over a hundred megs of downloads to do. so, dont be scared to download it.

there is a ton of issues regarding 802.11x (wireless) and sp1. download sp2.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users