Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

one computer on LAN is taking all internet download capability

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 prairieskipper

prairieskipper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:17 AM

We have a small LAN, 8 computers, on an internet service that is about 1.3 meg/sec maximum.  No problem for years.  All computers bought and installed at the same time and all are running Windows 7 pro 64 bit.  Then one computer, I checked by disconnecting each computer one after the other, begins to use about 10 times the bandwidth of any of the others.   In trying to find out what is going on with this computer, I tried to install a network monitor.  Downloaded the monitor, but the computer immediately reported the progrtam as a virus and deleted it.  Tried several different monitor programs, none could get past being identified by the computer as a virus and immediate deletion.   Computer was using McAfee, then user switched to AVG antivirus.   Tried Combofix, downloaded file, then the computer reports Combofix is a virus and was deleted.  Same thing with any other type of webmonitor file.  They download , then the computer says it is a virus, and deletes it.  Can't run diagnostic from the net either, the computer still reports the downloaded program is a virus and is deleted.  Just about ready to buy a new box, and I can't tell if the issue of calling the diagnostic programs or Combofix a virus is related to the bandwidth eater or not. Is part of this an antivirus corruption problem; if it is, how could that be related to whatever is eating up the bandwidth?

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2014 - 11:55 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:53 AM

Sounds as though you may be infected. I would have a moderate here move this post to the subform (am I infected) have it check out to make sure .

#3 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

prairieskipper, It seems you are infected.

Download Avira Free Antivirus www.avira.com scan the computer.

To make sure add a extra protection Malwarebytes Anti-Malware www.malwarebytes.org

After you've done that please report back.

Cheers,

Laith225

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

Please ignore the reply by Laith225, as you had Antivirus installed.

Please follow the instructions in This Prep Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the requested logs are created, then make a New Topic and post it to the =>> Malware Removal Experts Area <== Not back here.

Copy and Paste any logs created, (do not attach them unless requested) and include a brief description of your problem and what you have done to try to resolve them.
Please note that the area can get a bit busy, so you may need to wait a day or more for a reply.

NOTE - If you cannot produce any of the logs, then please create the new topic anyway. Do not run any more tools unless the Experts request them.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 24 September 2014 - 07:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users