Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An old 3COM Wireless PCI card & Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bellzemos

Bellzemos

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hello!

I upgraded an older desktop PC (Lenovo ThinkCentre) from Windows XP to Windows 8.1 (x86) and everything works excellent...

...except one thing - an old wireless PCI card (it worked fine in Windows XP). It's driver got installed by the Windows 8.1 Update (there's no separate Windows 8.1 driver for it to be found anywhere else, only the XP driver is available). It says that there's no connections are available and so I have to use the LAN cable to be able to connect to the Internet. But there are wireless connections available and I'd like to make it work.

Wireless Network Adapter's name (as displayed in the Device Manager):
3Com 3CRDAG675 Wireless LAN PCI Adapter

Driver File: net5213xp.sys
Driver Provider: 3Com
Driver Date: 5.5.2005
Driver Version: 2.0.0.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

A few notes:

When I had Windows XP x86 installed on that same machine the wireless card worked (as the driver exists).

When I had Windows 7 x64 there was a question mark in the Device Manager (as there is now driver for Win7) and the wireless card didn't work.

Now in Windows 8.1 x86 there is no question mark, the driver got installed by the Windows 8.1 Update - so I think it SHOULD work?

Anyone, any idea, please?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

Microsoft may have had the drive in Windows update but according to their Compatibility Center, the adapter is not supported for 8.1.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

See if this driver will work!

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/drivers/pci-card/3com/wireless-802-11a-g-pci/hp-wireless-pc-card/3crdag675/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

I will try it as soon as I can, thank you! But is this driver official (legit and clean)?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tap select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post. Supposedly this card uses an Atheros chipset but I can't confirm that.

#7 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Here's the hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_10B7&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_203110B7&REV_01

Can you help me with it please?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

The Vendor ID is com. At pcidatabase.com it lists the chipset as Atheros but does not list the chipset number. From On the madwifi-project wiki it lists the following.

Wireless 11a/b/g PCI Adapter (3CRDAG675) Chipset: AR5212(802.11a/b/g) URL: http://www.3com.com/... Interface: PCI Antenna Connector: Permanently attached antenna Device Information: 10b7:0013 Notes: Discontinued, replaced by 3CRDAG675B

But from wikidev it lists the chipset as AR5112A

Here are the internal  and external photos I found at the FCC database. I cannot see the Atheros chipset number in the photo. You may be able to remove the metal cover and get the actual chipset number but ground yourself first. I think it is going to be difficult finding drivers for this card but it would best if you can confirm the chipset number under the metal plate.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#9 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

I took out the wireless PCI card and took the pics of all the data that's on it:

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

The metal cover is soldered on and I'm not able to unsolder it. It would be great if you would be able to find the appropriate driver by examining the data on these four photos.

Thank you for your help!

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

It has to be in this bunch from the Atheros site!  Try them one at a time for your OS and bits, load, try and delete until you find the right one.

Phil

https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php

Edited by OldPhil, 26 September 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

See if you can remove the metal plate. Don't force it. You should be able to see the chip number.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

IMO do the "Hunt & Peck" thing first before chancing damaging the card, it may take a little time but alleviates worry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users