Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, Computer Keeps Restarting!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stargirl

Stargirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:23 AM

I think this is common problem, but when I turn on my sister's computer it asks to run in several modes:
Run windows normally
Safe mode
etc...

And I've tried both safe mode and normal mode to try and startup, but then I get an error message...
A blue screen comes up and says that a 'systemlog' file [or something along those lines] is invalid and then the computer restarts!

It's been going on for a while but we haven't been able to get around to fixing it, any help would be appreciated thankyou :thumbsup:

fyi, this happened to my computer around a year ago and my cousin had to put everything onto a different disk drive to back it all up and then reboot the whole computer...please don't say we have to go through this again lol :flowers:

Thankyou,

Laura x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

OK what we need is a good error message and it can not have "Something like that" in it.

#3 fireboy

fireboy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

It will be difficult to get the error message because the system is restarting before he can write it down. When Microsoft released Windows XP in 2001 they included an automatic restart feature that will reboot the system in the event of a blue screen of death. Unfortunately, if you get a blue screen every time you boot, then you get stuck in a loop.

First, I would recommend that you run a Windows XP repair installation. Boot from your original Windows XP CD. When the first prompt comes up, press enter and then press F8 to agree to the terms. On the next screen select R for repair, and sit back and enjoy the ride.

After the repair is compete, the computer should boot normally. Before you do anything else, you will want to disable the auto restart feature. To do this, click on Start and then right click on My Computer. Next, left click on properties and then left click on the Advanced Tab. Now left click on the "Settings" button under Startup and recovery. Uncheck the "automatically restart" option.

You may have to reinstall some drivers and windows updates once this process is complete, so have the disks for modem, video card, motherboard and network card handy!

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

When you get the booting options screen, look for something like:

Turn off Auto Restart

Select that one and reboot. Then if you get a blue screen the computer should pause on it so you can write it down in it's entirety and post it here.

Not all booting option screens will have the 'turn off auto restart' option, however.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users