Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth Not Finding Other Active Devices & Also Not Found By Others

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mbrandau2018

mbrandau2018

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

I tried Dell Community but unfortunately I think only 1 person is working the forum and has only responded 2x since Sept 1st. Here is my problem:

Dell Inspiron 17

Windows 8.1

Intel Core i3-227U CPU @ 1.90GHz                   

4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

I have turned everything on including sharing, etc.  I first noticed there was a problem yesterday when I tried connecting to a Sony Soundbar.  It didn't find anything in the room.  I attempted to connect my Blackberry to my laptop and it couldn't find that either.  BUT....my Blackberry connected to the Sony Soundbar and my hands free ear piece.  So I attempted Dell CS and they told me I was 2 weeks beyond my warranty and it would cost me $129 one time fee or $239 1 year unlimited.  I find that this was completely unwarranted considering how long I've been a customer and how many computers I have purchased from them in my lifetime.  My warranty ended on 8/15/14.  I've had nothing but problems with this laptop and even had to re-install the entire OS back in May due to a BSOD drivers error crash.  I mean, come on.

This was his answer:

Mbrandau,

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Bluetooth Support Service and verify that it’s set up properly.

To do this, right-click on your start button, select Run and type in services.msc. Once the Services window pops up, scroll down until you see Bluetooth Support Service then double-click on it. This will bring up a window with tabs at the top. Under the General tab, make sure the startup type is set to Automatic. Now go to the Log On tab and ensure This Account is selected and Local Service is entered in the field next to it. If there is a password in the Password and Confirm Password fields, delete those and then select OK.

You will be asked to restart the service now. Once it is restarted, turn your Bluetooth adapter back on and put your Bluetooth device into pairing mode. You should now be able to detect the device and connect to it.

More information on Bluetooth connection issues can be found on the Why isn't Windows finding my Bluetooth or other wireless device? page.

Hope this helps!

This was my response:

I appreciate you writing and trying to help.  I followed your instructions and it did not work.  The password and confirm password remain there even though I deleted it.  Pressed Ok, didn't work.  Pressed Apply then Ok, didn't work.  Stopped the Bluetooth service and restarted it, didn't work.  Rebooted, didn't work.  It just keeps searching and never finds anything or is found by anything like my phone or my Sony Soundbar surround system.  It says Bluetooth functioning properly but we know that isn't true.

And anything I try to do to remove the password, it keeps coming back.

His final response:

Mbrandau,

It sounds like you’ve verified that the Bluetooth Support Service is enabled. At this point, let’s just verify that your Bluetooth adapter is working properly and has the correct and most up to date driver.

Start by opening Device Manager. It can be opened by pointing to the lower right corner of your screen and moving the mouse pointer up. In the Search field, enterDevice Manager.

Once the list of devices comes up, click on Bluetooth to expand it. If you see a yellow warning icon next to the Bluetooth adapter, that’s a good indication there is something wrong with it. You’ll be able to see more details about the device by right-clicking on the device and selecting Properties.

You also have the option to update the driver while you’re in Device Manager. Right-click on the device and select Update Driver Software. You’ll have the ability to either search and install a more up to date driver automatically or install a new driver manually. The simpler route is to let Windows search for and automatically install any new drivers available.

After you’ve verified that there are no issues with the Bluetooth adapter and that you have the latest driver installed, go through the steps of enabling Bluetooth and pairing your Bluetooth devices again. Follow the steps provided on the Why isn't Windows finding my Bluetooth or other wireless device? page.

My final response:

I checked where you asked.  No yellow warning icon.  All drivers are up to date.  Still does not find bluetooth devices like my phone.

There's gotta be something we are missing.  This should be pretty simple and I am an experienced computer user and problem solver.

Conclusion:

We've established drivers are installed and up to date, turned on and actively attempting to pair.  But it doesn't find anything.  Meanwhile, for example, mu cell phone found the surround sound device and paired with that so it's not my phone or the surround sound.

Please help

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2014 - 02:06 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

My first guess would be to recheck that the wifi is turned on in the laptop. Can you connect to the router / modem now?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mbrandau2018

mbrandau2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

WiFi is not the problem.  I can connect without issue to my wireless router.  It's the Bluetooth device which is not finding other bluetooth devices to connect to.  Or vice-a-versa.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

Sorry, I don't bluetooth

You'll have to wait on one of the other members to see your message and lend their expertise

Stay well and surf safe

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 mbrandau2018

mbrandau2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

You too thanks

#6 mbrandau2018

mbrandau2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Help?

#7 david.coffman

david.coffman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:30 AM

I read your post, has the blue tooth worked at all since you did the reinstall or is this something that start after? From the sound of the problem it seems like the actual Bluetooth antenna may not be working correctly. I have seen this happen in laptops before and they will still show as working fine according to the system. Not saying that is the case here but rather a possibility if everything else checks out fine. Also you have ruled out the other equipment since it they will pair to other devices and it is only the laptop which is having the pairing issue.

#8 mbrandau2018

mbrandau2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

I did a full OS reinstall in May/June and didn't try pairing anything until the end of August, 2 weeks after the warranty expired.  Oh and by the way, Dell refused to overlook the 2 weeks.  Their customer service is the pits.  I have been a Dell customer for 10+ years, exclusively.  The next purchase will be from someone else.

So, now what?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

Did the computer originally come with 8.1 or was it updated from 8 to 8.1?

#10 mbrandau2018

mbrandau2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

It came with 8.0 and I upgraded it to 8.1.

I'm strongly considering purchasing an HP Envy 17t with the newest and best stuff for high performance.  I got a $175 coupon so with tax the whole thing will cost just over $900.  I would upgrade to the 

• Intel 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth® [2x2] with 16GB of RAM.  I should have no problems with multitasking or running programs like ZoneAlarm or Peachtree like I do now. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

The inspiron 17 has another 4 digit number after it. It may be on the bottom of the computer. Can you post that?

Edit: If you can't find it please PM me the service tag number.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 September 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#12 mbrandau2018

mbrandau2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

Go here. Download and install the 8.1 driver. If you have already installed this driver after updating to 8.1 please disregard.

Edit: It seems Dell has two different bluetooth drivers for the computer and I am not sure which one is correct. Here is the other.

If you input your service tag number here. It may narrow down the correct driver.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 September 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#14 mbrandau2018

mbrandau2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

Didn't solve the problem.  Pretty sure I had used that driver originally.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

Okay. sorry I wasn't able to help solve the problem. People have reported difficulty with bluetooth drivers on Dells with 8.1. You might want to look at getting a bluetooth dongle that works with 8.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users