Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI 2 and PCI 3 slots

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 purplekaycee

purplekaycee

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

I want to know maybe a high end performing graphics card meant for a PCI 3 slot can run smoothly on a PCI 2 slot without any problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

I guess you mean a PCIe 3.0 card in a PCIe 2.0 slot?  Yes that would work fine as long as it's a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.  There should be no meaningful drop in performance.  It has been tested in detail here.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 purplekaycee

purplekaycee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:33 AM

Jonuk 76 yeah you right .pcie slots.
The whole idea is to upgrade my graphics card from the present one .my cpu graphics slot is labbled a pcie 2.0. So I was wondering.

#4 purplekaycee

purplekaycee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:14 AM

I didnt see gtx 760 and gt840m on the list
I will give you more information about my pcie slot later in the day

Edited by purplekaycee, 23 September 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Yes they are not on the list.  It was just a test with two high end (at the time) graphics cards, an Nvidia GTX 680 and a Radeon HD 7970 as examples of what you might expect.  Both cards are a little faster than the GTX 760.  It illustrates that even high end cards (at the time it was written) were not making use of the additional bandwidth available on PCIe 3.0.

They illustrate that even dropping to a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot you'd only lose about 7-13% compared to a PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot.  While the difference in performance between a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot and PCIe 2.0 x16 slot is negligible, at least with the current generation of graphics cards.  You might see a bigger difference with future cards.

Note most all desktop motherboards have at least one PCIe x16 slot for the graphics card.

Edited by jonuk76, 23 September 2014 - 09:44 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 purplekaycee

purplekaycee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Yes they are not on the list.  It was just a test with two high end (at the time) graphics cards, an Nvidia GTX 680 and a Radeon HD 7970 as examples of what you might expect.  Both cards are a little faster than the GTX 760.  It illustrates that even high end cards (at the time it was written) were not making use of the additional bandwidth available on PCIe 3.0.

They illustrate that even dropping to a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot you'd only lose about 7-13% compared to a PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot.  While the difference in performance between a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot and PCIe 2.0 x16 slot is negligible, at least with the current generation of graphics cards.  You might see a bigger difference with future cards.

Note most all desktop motherboards have at least one PCIe x16 slot for the graphics card.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01917308-2%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

This is a review of my PC

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hmm, an HP...  OK it does have a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.  Bear in mind a GTX 760 is a dual slot card, and some are longer than others.  That is not a large case (clue in the "Micro Tower" name ;) ), so there is going to be a limited amount of room for a graphics card.  Make sure whatever card you buy will physically fit.  This one is much more compact than the usual GTX 760 cards.

That HP PC only has a 300w power supply.  Not enough for a GTX 760.  It will need to be upgraded to a 500w or larger PSU from a quality manufacturer.  I'd suggest something like this.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 purplekaycee

purplekaycee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

Hmm, an HP...  OK it does have a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot.  Bear in mind a GTX 760 is a dual slot card, and some are longer than others.  That is not a large case (clue in the "Micro Tower" name ;) ), so there is going to be a limited amount of room for a graphics card.  Make sure whatever card you buy will physically fit.  This one is much more compact than the usual GTX 760 cards.

That HP PC only has a 300w power supply.  Not enough for a GTX 760.  It will need to be upgraded to a 500w or larger PSU from a quality manufacturer.  I'd suggest something like this.

i currently use a GT 610 nvidia and it sucks when i 'play some games .

Are you saying i have  to get a stronger CPU?

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

Sorry for the delay replying.  No I haven't said anything about the CPU.  I did say you would have to upgrade the PSU (Power Supply).  I don't know what CPU you have - the linked PC can contain everything from a single core Celeron to a Core 2 Quad.  If you do have an old Celeron for example then yes, putting a modern high end GPU on it will be a waste, as it will be bottlenecked by the CPU.

If I was a bit reluctant about HP Mini Tower PC's it's because they are fairly small cases and you might have fitting problems with large graphics cards.  Which is why I suggest measuring the space you have available before buying the graphics card, to ensure it will fit.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 purplekaycee

purplekaycee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01917308-2%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users