Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exchange server going down periodically, requires restart

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

I have an exchange server running off of a Windows Server 2003 that, after a couple of days, the two users running windows XP (We need upgrades, I know) are unable to view email.  When they open an email, it come up blank, and when they re-open outlook it says the server is busy.

As far as I know, this does require a restart to fix, but the XP users are impatient and tell us to restart it as soon as it starts happening, so I don't know for sure.

I set up IIS, but I have no idea how to actually look at the logs to figure anything out myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

Is this only occuring with the XP users? If so, what OS and Outlook version are the others not having this issue using? What version of Outlook are the XP users using? You mentioned IIS, are the XP users (or any other users) accessing email using OWA?

In addition to checking Event Viewer on the Exchange server for logs posted when the problem occurs, here are a few server logs you might want to have a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821910

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

More details would be handy, have you tried unticking cahe mode in outlook (Untick to see if it works and then re-tick again after), do the emails appear then.

It sounds like a problem i had with AVG disabling HTML emails and all emails where blank so i uninstalled it on some test Win8 Nodes i had..

Also hold down the CTRL key and right click the outlook icon in task bar and then hit test Email Config.

With more details we might eb able to iron this out.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 23 September 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#4 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

The unaffected user is running Windows 7 and Outlook 2007, the two affected users are running XP and Outlook 2003.

As for the cache mode and AVG, I'm waiting for it to break again so I can test it.

Thanks for replying :)

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

This is a known issue with Outlook 2003, especially if you don't have Office 2003 SP 1 installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832355

Not using cached mode is Microsoft's suggested fix, but that's a short-term solution and can lead to longer latency as the Outlook client no longer stores a copy of the Exchange data locally. Seeing as the client OS, that version of Outlook and even the Exchange version are now all out of support, upgrading is probably the only long-term solution.

#6 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

Not using cached mode is Microsoft's suggested fix, but that's a short-term solution and can lead to longer latency as the Outlook client no longer stores a copy of the Exchange data locally. Seeing as the client OS, that version of Outlook and even the Exchange version are now all out of support, upgrading is probably the only long-term solution.

I agree, unfortunately I'm pretty new in the office so convincing my boss to shell out for it's going to be tricky. I'll give your cached mode solution a shot, as they're already running SP1.

Thanks!

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Good luck with that. ;)

You might also want to look at the size of the users' mailboxes. They may need to archive older emails to take some of the strain off Outlook.

#8 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

To me this stinks of a memory leak affecting one of the the paged or non-paged pools in the server.

The reason why I am thinking it is a memory leak is that it takes a couple of days to break, then needs a reboot to clear it...

Another thing to try (just to gather information) is to see if just restarting the Exchange Information store service on the server restores functionality (note that restarting that service will interrupt connectivity to all Outlook clients regardless of version). Of course, even if this does fix the issue, it isn't a permanent fix, but then we do know the issue is with the IS.

Diagnosing memory pool leeks is horribly complex and usually frustrating (I've spent many a happy hour spent staring at poolmon!). I'm not proposing to try to talk though that, however I will throw in a couple of simple and maybe obvious suggestions, and one more technical solution.

Is the server fully patched? If it isn't, ensure that the latest Windows service pack and Exchange service packs are applied, then go to Microsoft Update (update.microsoft.com - Not just Windows update) and apply all of the updates.

If the server is performing other roles as well, then the other functions of the server could be causing the leak - so consider general patching, removing unnecessary software on the server etc...

If the server has more than 1GB memory - Some tuning may also help - See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823440. Also google "/3GB" and "/USERVA" for more views on this tuning. Do stick within the recommended limits of userva values and to take time re read and re-read the kb articles and other information you may dig up until you understand it... Don't rush this!...

x64

Edited by x64, 23 September 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

Yeh x64, mem leak could be a possability as you said after 2-3 days it fails over.

Restarting the service shoul clear the memory but it seems weird that windows 7/office 2007 is uneffected.

Odviously dont keep the cache mode unticked but its a test to see ifit fixes it.

Are you using ECC ram? and much much is available (Physical) when all services are running on the Exchange server.

Does office 2003 have a pst error tool like 2007 && 2010? You could try that to see if their pst/ost has ahy data corruption.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 23 September 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

Restarting the service shoul clear the memory but it seems weird that windows 7/office 2007 is uneffected.

That's what leads me to think it's a client side issue, not server side. If it were a server issue like a memory leak or the information store, you'd expect all the clients to have issues at some point. But this is specific to the XP/O2003 clients.

#11 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

Okay, so, outlook is currently not using cached mode, so that fix is out. Also, the other XP user is running outlook 2007 but today, while it's broken on the 2003 client, the 2007 client is fine.

As for the memory issue, store.exe on the server is taking 700MB of memory, but I was informed that this is not an issue.

Event Viewer shows a short lapse in connectivity this morning at around 5:15, so that might be a problem.

Lastly, the server has updates available, so I'm going to go ahead and install those and see if it still breaks in a couple of days.

EDIT: Updated the server, one of the security updates failed, and I received 4 emails from before 6am after restarting, so it is a server issue as it fails to receive mail until restart.

Edited by sausage, 24 September 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

Did you just install 2007 on the XP machine?

I'd be interested in knowing if 2003 still works if you get the server issue worked out. Make sure the clients are updated as well -- could be a combination of server and client issues.

In any event, probably a wake up call for the boss to upgrade...

#13 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Did you just install 2007 on the XP machine? 

No, I (wrongly) assumed that since both machines were XP that both machines had 2003, it's had 2007, and didn't work when I first made the post, but worked this morning.

By worked, I mean I could read emails on it, but could not on the 2003 machine.  It seems I did not receive any emails until I restarted the server this morning, when they all came in at once. At the bottom next to "Connected to Exchange Server" it said the folder was last updated at 12:02 AM, and Send/Receive didn't do anything, it didn't say "Send/Receive operation completed" like it normally does. (This was all before the server restart, it works properly now.)

Edited by sausage, 24 September 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

Ah. Client side fix seems easy then -- install 2007 on the other machine. In terms of client updates, make sure it's configured to download Microsoft product updates as well. Office suite updates don't come through regular Windows updates.

#15 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

Okay, that makes sense, though that doesn't fix us not receiving emails when the server screws up.

Also, it should be noted that the 2003 client is not using cached mode, whereas I am, so that might be why I can pull old emails up and he can't. Unfortunately, that's only something I can test after it goes down again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users