Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010 E-mails Send but Not Recieved

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Slider51

Slider51

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Machine:  PC Win7 Professional SP1 up to date with all updates., Outlook 2010 as my POP3 e-mail client.  Machine is one of 2 identical boxes set up behind a router.  Running Norton Internet Security - Comcast's free version (which as far as I can tell is identical to the commercial version). 

Machine is new as of April 2014.  I have 5 POP3 e-mail accounts.  My ISP is (unfortunately) Comcast.  Since the machines were new, I have had zero problems with e-mail.  I really dislike webmail, so I have all my accounts set up in Outlook 2010.

Starting 5 days ago, e-mails sent from any of the 5 POP3 accounts send fine, they show up in my "sent" folder, but never reach the recipients.  I get no "bounce" notices or any other indication that anything is wrong, the e-mails just don't get there.  If I log into Comcast's webmail, the e-mails get received as they should, but using Outlook, they don't.  Nothing has changed on the machine, no changes made to Outlook, etc. 

I went through 5 days of ridiculous Comcast nonsense being shuffled from tech to tech, ticket to ticket, spent hours on hold, well...you get the picture (especially if you're a Comcast subscriber.)  They basically did nothing for me other than trying an alternate set of server port numbers, which didn't work.  After 5 days Comcast closed the ticket on me with the statement that "our only requirement is to provide you with webmail.."  Of course, I'm livid with them, basically saying if you're running an e-mail client, you're totally on your own.  Wish I could change, but they're the only game in town.

Last night, I thought I had it fixed...I tried accessing each POP3 account through Outlook, and used the "repair connection" wizard.  It changed the outgoing server port number and switched the encryption from SSL to TLS, and suddenly all 5 accounts worked fine - several test e-mail sent to various recipients, all received promptly and replied received promptly.  This held up for about 24 hours, all of a sudden, my Outlook e-mails are once again sending but never getting anywhere.

Right before I posted this, I "repaired" my primary account once again with Outlook's "repair connection" feature. Right this second, my Outlook e-mails are being received properly, but based on it only lasting 24 hours last time, I'm wondering what is going on.

Obviously Comcast is zero help...I'm new to Outlook since April, I'd always used Outlook Express prior to this on the XP machines these replaced, so I'm in relatively unfamiliar territory with Outlook 2010 as an e-mail client.

I still think Comcast changed something somewhere - I clone my hard drives, and I had a cloned HDD from August 26th, way before this problem started.  I swapped that HDD into the machine, and the lost-email problem was still there...this would lead me to believe that the problem is not with Outlook, as it was working fine on August 26.

I can't understand how everything worked fine for 5 months and then suddenly this problem crops up....

Does anybody have any idea what this problem might be?  I have everything set up in Outlook just like I like it, several rules moving incoming e-mails into appropriate folders for each account, 2 IMAP accounts for a website I have (which worked perfectly through all of this, of course, they don't go through Comcast's servers)...I can't bear the thought of regressing to webmail...please help - I'll try anything.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some help.     

Edited by Slider51, 22 September 2014 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

What are your outgoing server (smtp) settings?

The issue could be related to those settings although you would generally get an error message.

Nothing unusual about mail not sending from an email client but will send from webmail. For the record, I don't blame you for not wanting to regress to using Comcast webmail. It has issues and every time they fix an issue or "upgrade" webmail something that used to work gets broken. I don't go to Comcast webmail very often but when I do I am reminded of why I don't use it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 September 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#3 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Thank you for replying...

Since April, they have been:

Outgoing server: smtp.comcast.net

Incoming server port:   995

Outgoing server port: 465

"This server requires an encrypted connection" box checked

Encryption type: SSL

The "repair connection" wizard changes them to:

Incoming server port:   995

Outgoing server port: 587

"This server requires an encrypted connection" box checked

Encryption type: TLS

This is how they are set at this moment.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

The only thing I can think of to tell you is check your settings against those listed here http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-outlook-2010/

Since you already have accounts set up in Outlook scroll down to #10 and go from there.

If that doesn't work

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums.
Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case you would post in Email forum.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you have any questions about the Comcast forum you can send me a private message here or there. My user name at Comcast is the same one as here.

#5 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

Thanks.

My settings were the same as shown in the "Setting up Outlook" link you included, when the problem started.

I really have a bad taste in my mouth with anything to do with Comcast right now, but if this forum doesn't yield any additional ideas I'll try over there as a last resort.  Thanks though for the detailed instructions on how to post over there.

Anybody else have any ideas?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

I really have a bad taste in my mouth with anything to do with Comcast right now

I can certainly understand that and why you feel that way. I've felt that way about Comcast many times over the years.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help you. If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

The Comcast forum really is a good resource. It's mainly customer to customer and as I stated many times we know more than Comcast people you talk to on the phone.

#7 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

I relented and posted over there - I just spent a hour reading account after account of horrific treatment of customers by Comcast...that isn't news to me but the level it has gotten to is deplorable...just think how much worse it will be if the merger goes through...

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

I relented and posted over there - I just spent a hour reading account after account of horrific treatment of customers by Comcast...that isn't news to me but the level it has gotten to is deplorable...just think how much worse it will be if the merger goes through...

I totally agree with you.

edit to add: you might want to edit your post at Comcast to say you have already checked the settings. That is most likely the first thing someone will tell you to do.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 September 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#9 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Done, thank you. In the last 4 days, I have made a total of 11 phone calls to various "tech support" numbers, spent 3-1/2 useless hours in "chat", and had two call-back appointments that never resulted in a call-back, for which I sat at home for a total of 8 hours. Even the elite "Signature Service" techs blew me off, the guy I was talking to was in Ohio, too, not India or the Phillipines.

Yet I still get junk mail weekly saying how great Comcast is and offering me all kinds of more services...uh yeah, right Comcast....

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yet I still get junk mail weekly saying how great Comcast is and offering me all kinds of more services...uh yeah, right Comcast....

Do they tell you "Xfinity, the future of awesome" or "make tomorrow awesome"?
One or the other is on almost everything I get from Comcast.

Instead of trying to make the future "awesome" I'd like to see it awesome TODAY.

#11 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

UPDATE...

Now I am totally without Outlook E-mail. As I had feared, the "fix" of using Outlook's "Repair" function lasted less than 24 hours. And to make it worse, the "repair" fix no longer works, it no longer fixes the problem.

This is getting ridiculous. I have no idea how I'm going to manage all my e-mail accounts using the Comcast's lame webmail and with zero tech support from this poor excuse for an ISP.

#12 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

I solved this - after 5 days of Comcast "technicians" telling me I had a problem with Outlook 2010 e-mail client, " not a Comcast problem"...I grabbed a header off a test e-mail that made it, had it analyzed at MXToolbox.com, and found out that Comcasts Westchester PA mail server had blacklisted me, for reasons that not even Comcast Customer Security could identify.

I was being blocked for spamming - me ... a guy who sends maybe 10 e-mails a week and recieves maybe 15. I run Comcast's own Norton AntiVirus, kept up to date automatically, and do rootkit scans weekly - I have no infections that show up, no bot activity, yet Comcast blacklisted me.

The Security Tech DID tell me that Comcast's anti-spam mechanism is overly sensitive, and a lot of home users get caught in this trap.

SO, here's the moral of the story - if you're having Comcast outgoing e-mail delivery problems, start FIRST by contacting Customer Security Assistance at 888-565-4329 and ask to know if you are being blacklisted. At least they speak English, and are real tech support people, not the know-nothings that have sent me on 5 days worth of wild goose chases reading scripts, telling me that someone would call between 9 and noon which never happens, and simply cancelling tickets when they're in over their head (which is almost immediately for 99.9% of them).

Edited by Slider51, 24 September 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

I'm glad you got it fixed.
You are not the first and won't be the last to get blacklisted for no apparent reason.

That is something I would never have thought about to check.

#14 Slider51

Slider51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

Thanks QE - but I may have spoken too soon.  While the tech removed the first blacklist while I was on the phone with him, he also mentioned that Comcast contracts Spam Monkey, and while he sent a request to have that one removed too.  I'm still seeing a blacklist later this afternoon on headers from some test e-mails I sent.  This time it's not at the Westchester server, it's some other non-descript line in the header that doesn't even look like a server to me.

The real problem is these blacklist things apparently snowball - you get tagged once, then every ISP you send e-mails to adds you to theirs.  It looks like I'm going to be chasing these stupid blacklists down forever.  AS much as I hate to expend even more non-productive time sitting on hold waiting to be escalated to the guys at Security Assistance that can fix this stuff, I'm going to have to call them back tomorrow.  Seems I forgot my wife's computer, on the same router,  which shows up as <her computer name> 000.00.000(IP address).  E-mails that she sent from her account (a secondary to my main Comcast account) are also getting blacklisted (probably because the IP address for her machine is the same as mine).

Edited by Slider51, 24 September 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#15 endgamers

endgamers

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

The thing that strikes me about this is that you keep saying that you do the "auto repair" feature or whatever it is and then it works for 24 hours. To me this would suggests a problem with the outlook 2010 software. I am not a software guy, but it just sounds like a software issue because it DOES WORK for 24 hours which means that comcast servers like you just fine for that 24 hours and it is only when you do the repair feature on outlook that gets you going again. To test this theory you could try using another program such as windows live mail (which is free). 

Edited by endgamers, 26 September 2014 - 01:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users