Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway NE71B laptop RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mjm949

mjm949

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

I have a Gateway NE71B laptop with 4GB DDR3 RAM upgradeable to 8GB.  I purchased the additional memory and proceeded to install.  However, I cannot find the slot to insert the new stick. I see what appears to be the slot located above the original memory, and it has the metal clips to secure the stick, but no “hole” to insert the stick. Belarc Advisor and Speccy recognize “Slot ‘DIMM 1’ is Empty” and “Slot “DIMM 0’ has 4096 MB”.  I am confused.  I’m running on Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) SP1 with a 500GB hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

This video may help ... http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=installing+ram+in+a+laptop&qpvt=installing+RAM+in+a+laptop&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=8FC89DDB38B72A8087BC8FC89DDB38B72A8087BC

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

According to the motherboard image here the two memory banks are in the same place, you need to remove the dim on top to see the socket under.

Edited by SleepyDude, 22 September 2014 - 03:01 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 mjm949

mjm949
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for your time, but I still have the same problem. The upper slot is there, and the stick fits in under the clips, but it doesn't snap in securely and slides right out if touched. The bottom slot has like a white plastic frame. Not so on the top. Is something missing, or am I just inserting it incorrectly? I have replaced the original stick in the bottom slot with one of the new sticks that I purchased, and it works fine.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:57 AM

Hi,

Can you post a photo of the slots?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users