Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a new (second) account, stock apps not working?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VectorLightning

VectorLightning

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

So, this computer's kinda new, about half a year old, and I just decided to make a new account, and... for some reason the stock apps like weather, news, and even the app store won't open. They have a little X symbol on the bottom right corner of the Start tile, and they don't seem to do anything. Any of them other than the store will display an error, and the store tile will do the animation and just close right away. The original account is just fine though, so... Any idea what's wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

I'm going to guess that it's the permissions.

You installed everything with your other account and they work only for that account

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 VectorLightning

VectorLightning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:27 PM

I don't think it's just the permissions... I set the new account to Admin, and not only are the stock, but even the Store and the PC Settings apps are broken. I've ran a Registry Repair software, and it didn't see anything to fix either.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

When you look in your computer -> users -> all users are all of the apps listed? Check against users -> your main admin account name

I think you will see differences between main admin, new admin and all users. Copy and paste the missing items from your main admin to your new admin

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

The following is an excerpt from this article posted by quietman7.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Is this a Windows 8 or 8.1 user account?

Just to be thorough, is this a Microsoft Account? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 VectorLightning

VectorLightning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

This is on a Win8.1, through a Microsoft Account. 

Back to what dicke asked, I'm not sure what we're looking for here. I only see my documents, desktop, and the like, nothing like "my applications" or something... In both account folders. That wouldn't explain the broken Settings app anyway, would it? I mean, that's a key component, so wouldn't that be elsewhere? Noob here, but trying to pick at this logically.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

maybe I missed a step

computer -> users -> your main admin account name -> desktop

there should be a listing of all that you can access via a double click from your desktop

Keep us posted

Dick E

#8 VectorLightning

VectorLightning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

That one just takes me to the ... desktop, predictably. Those shortcuts aren't what I'm after, I'm after the Win8 "metro" apps.

Anyway, after getting advice from a couple other sources, I tried two more tricks.

The first was to use the Hidden Admin account to change the new account's rank to Admin. The new account was an Admin anyway. FAIL. Plus Admin's copy of all the Metro apps is broken as well. DOUBLE FAIL.

I did actually contact Tech Support a few minutes ago... The guy said I've probably got some VIRUS OF DOOM!!! and said to back up everything and try Refresh... Luckily I have the working account still... 

Wait, he said it's a virus? How did I get a virus a.) past Immunet and b.)when I baby this thing and never download apps I don't know where they came from???

Well... I don't want to Refresh just yet but I do want to do that if I don't get something fixed soon... Any suggestions? I'm thinking I gotta be careful because he said that the machine's corrupted and could maybe cost over a hundred $$$ to repair if the working account gets "corrupted" too...

Edited by VectorLightning, 28 September 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#9 VectorLightning

VectorLightning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

OK I'M BEING WEIRDED OUT HERE.

My computer just healed. No joke. This morning nothing metro was working. A few hours ago I was told to do Refresh and that broke, as well as Factory Reset.

Five minutes afterwards, I sign in with the broken account, search for refresh and realize that the settings app is back online. I didn't do anything to do that.

Then I got curious and checked out the Store. It was back online. None of the apps were back, but I could download them again. But it healed itself! HOW?!

THERE IS NO WAY THAT REFRESH DID THAT. The panel only stayed open for 15 seconds, and then said "nothing was changed. Fix this problem?" Then it crashed to desktop, opened the "fixing problem" box, and that closed too. Then I tried refresh again and realized that the settings app was working.

HOW IN THE WORLD DID MY COMPUTER HEAL ITSELF LIKE THAT??? I AM NOT JOKING. I SWEAR.

I need to go lie down for a minute until I calm down and stop imagining that my computer's haunted or something...

I may be a n00b but trust me, I would never troll someone like this. What the **** just happened???

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

I have no clue as to what did happen. I can only guess that the self repair features of the OS along with the reboots cleared and repaired the problem. [this is more of a WAG that a SWAG and it's worth is what you paid for it]

Stay well and surf safe - after you rest a bit

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users