Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

windows xp 32 or windows x64 bits

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

good afternoon to all,

i am still working with windows xp pro sp3 x32 bits but i am seriously thinking to go for windows xp or 7 x64 bits 

i really don't know if it is worthing the extra money because i have to buy the new x64 bits windows xp or 7 plus the four programs i am currently working

also, i do not know if the x64 bits windows have a noticeable better performance from the windows x32 bits

i am running sony vegas pro 8

sony dvd architect 4

sony acid

adobe audition 2

my pc is an intel g530

4 gb ddr3 corsair ram

250 wd hard disk

asus p8h61-mle motherboard

samsung multi drive

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2014 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

Please...clarify just what a "noticeable better performance" might be, in your eyes.

Performance of a given system seems, IMO, to depend on two things that are NOT the version of O/S installed:  the user and the hardware components of the system.

There is a ton of information available on the Web which details XP vs Win 7.  You may want to use Google and review some of those, since the variety of info would undoubtedly be a better reference than the opinions of the BC membership, especially so since such opinions are often stated as if they were facts.

Win 7 versus XP

Louis

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

good afternoon dear sir hamluis

i thank you for your detailed reply

it seems that my question is not that simple

sorry

i have checked the given link and it seems that the difference between windows x64 and windows xp x32 bits is not that great as i thought

it seems also that only certain programs will have some better performance from the windows xp x32 bits and in the most case the upgrade is not worthing the extra money

thanks again for your kind reply

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

The "upgrade" IS worth the money...if you consider that Win XP is out of date and conceivably has security vulnerabilities that will NEVER be addressed...while Win 7 is fully supported and MS is doing all that it can to make it less vulnerable to malware than it was yesterday.

Louis

#5 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

- If you don't have a 64bits system then using a 64 bits Operating System (XP or Win 7) is impossible. Then stick to a 32 bit Operating System.

#6 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

good afternoon to all

sorry for the very big delay in replying

i really thank all of you that replied 

i am seriously thinking to upgrade to windows 7 x64 since i found some very cheap prices from ebay but i am afraid to say that to upgrade my sony vegas pro 11 (x64 bits),dvd architect 5 (x64 bits) will cost quite a lot, not to forget to mention that my old adobe audition 2 can not run under windows 7 x 64 bits

thanks again for your detailed replies

#7 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Most 32 bit programs will work fine on windows 7 64bit. BUT, if your system does not support 64bit, then your money will be wasted. If you got a 32 bit operating system when you bought that computer, then stick to Windows 7 32 bit.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

FWIW:  Just about every processor since Pentium IVs...are 64-bit processors.  That means that they can run 64-bit O/Ses or 32-bit O/Ses.

The choice of O/S is up to the user, for whatever reasons.

Louis

#9 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

good afternoon to all and many thanks for all your kind replies

i think that running x32 bits applications on a x64 bits os does not make any sense

thanks

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

It makes sense.

Not all applications are coded for 64-bit.  Win 7 runs both 32-bit and 64-bit applications...generally, without problems.  See WOW64 Info .

Thus users don't have to rush out and buy newer apps...which may not even exist.

Louis

#11 Techwork

Techwork

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi nickko 

If I was you I would upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit for security reasons and a lot of other reasons. If you want a bit performance gain I would buy a fast SSD HDD to install it on and then keep your 250 GB drive for extra storage. Windows 7 64 bit on SSD drive will rock your world when it comes to performance :-)

Best regards

Thomas
wb2.png

Twitter | Facebook Fan page | YouTube | Google+

#12 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

dear sir hamluis and dear Techwork

good afternoon and i thank all of you so much for your kind replies

ok then ! windows 7 x64 and an ssd drive will make the difference (in performance) for me

thanks and i will check what ssd's drive are available here

have a nice day

#13 Techwork

Techwork

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

You are most welcome Nickko

By the way. You might want to run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check if all your software will run on Windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Best regards

Thomas
wb2.png

Twitter | Facebook Fan page | YouTube | Google+

#14 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

good afternoon dear Techwork

thanks for the given link

my system is ready for any windows x64 and i am looking trough ebay for any good offer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users