Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x734305be Explorer Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 batya7

batya7

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

This forum has been incredibly helpful. I appreciate all of you who take the time and interest to answer my inquiries and write such clear instructions.

Win XP Home

I think my virus last week wreaked some havoc. We get the following message popup when clicking on desk icons:

explorer.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x734305be" referenced memory at "0x734305be". The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

When we debug, we get a Dr. Watson report something-or-other.

I'd appreciate any input.

Then I'll tackle the problem that my new installation of Quicken 2006 won't let me remove the icons from the desktop of all the users.

Thanks!

BTW: ran Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, eTrust, Bit Defender---all clean, all cookies removed, etc.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "

(Clarke's third law) Arthur C. Clarke, English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - 2008), "Profiles of The Future", 1961

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

Could I have some system stat's please like Processor, speed, service pack, Ram, etc.

#3 fireboy

fireboy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

I found this information with a Google search. I don't know if it applies directly to your problem, but if it does, I hope it helps!

Worked on a laptop today that was getting the following error on bootup: "explorer.exe Application Error - The instruction at "0x734305be" referenced memory at "0x734305be". The memory could not be "written"."

The apoint.exe application, that is part of the Alps trackpoint/touchpad driver on the system, also was failing at bootup.

Was nothing really else to go on. System would boot up just fine in safe mode (of course), but problem would still occurr if I used msconfig.exe to disable all services and apps in startup so that they wouldn't start the next time the system was rebooted.

Ended up finding this page that documented the almost identical problem. Turns out it was caused by SpywareGuard for some reason.

So I uninstalled that and SpywareBlaster (just in case...they are written by same company - JavaCool Software).

I've installed these apps on many systems and haven't had problems before. In fact I've installed them on the same type of Laptop (Dell D610) without incident. Just plain odd.

And before you ask, yes, I'm pretty sure the Apoint.exe wasn't infected with spyware, as Microsoft Antispyware Beta tool was also installed.

At any rate, if you run into this issue, check to make sure that the system is free of spyware, and remove SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster as a last resort.

The explorer.exe error that I posted above also happens for other reasons, so this fix will only work if you are in very similar situation.

#4 batya7

batya7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:33 PM

Thanks, Fireboy. I also saw that via Google.

I never had any problems with Spyware Blaster in the long long time that I am running it on my home computer as well as 5 computers at work. But, I am uninstalling SpywareGuard to test out that theory.

ThorXP, my system consists of the following:

emachines T3256
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor
WinXP version 2000 SP2
2.21 GHz, 448 RAM (shipped with 512MB DDR SDRAM)

Will post back after doing uninstall.

(Clarke's third law) Arthur C. Clarke, English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - 2008), "Profiles of The Future", 1961

#5 batya7

batya7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

I uninstalled SpywareGuard and guess what...
NO MORE ERROR MESSAGE!

It worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users