Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stupid mistake

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

I have a desktop computer (Compaq Presario SR1055CL, vintage 2004) running Windows XP (offline :)).  Some time ago I chucked the worn-out wired keyboard and mouse (themselves second generation, not the original ones) and installed a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combination, with of course a USB "dongle" plugged into the computer.

This evening while trying to sit down in my computer chair I stumbled a bit (that happens sometimes when you are 82 years old and arthritic and tired - I spent part of the morning recapturing my neighbor's loose horse, and this evening had just come from four hours behind the wheel of a truck) and spilled over the keyboard part of the contents of a bowl of Bismarck herrings I had in my hand.  Some of the liquid - less than 1/4 cup I think - spilled on the keyboard.  That liquid is, so far as I know, salty vinegar with fish oil.  I blotted it up as best I could but quite a bit of it got down between the keys.  Not knowing what else to do I removed the batteries immediately, then holding the keyboard upside down rinsed out the spaces between the keys with fresh water, blotted it as best I could and put it upside down in the dish rack to dry.  I imagine it may take a few days to dry out completely.  That's no real problem because the old XP is offline and little used anyway.  It's a repository of a lot of data, but all of that exists as backups on at least two external HDDs not connected to any computer except when being used to back up or retrieve data.

Of course it's not the end of the world if the keyboard doesn't survive that treatment - I can always buy another at the local Staples store.  Well,the "local" Staples is actually more than an hour's drive distant, there and back is at least three hours and I cannot do that on a work day.  The "local" Fry's Electronics is 5 hours distant, so it could be worse <G>.

Question arising, will I be able to replace just the keyboard, or will I have to buy the whole combination of keyboard, mouse and dongle?

Many years ago I took a keyboard apart and found it had a thin plastic membrane between the keycaps (and the keys beneath them) and the actual electronics.  If this one is built that way, I suppose it might survive?

FWIW this is "Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800", WUG1008/KGR1008, MS part no. X823036-001, s/n 0150206537370, Product ID 01502-545-5373703-61318.

Thanks for enlightenment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:23 AM

Well, I would teardown the keyboard and clean it with distilled water or iso-alcohol. Blot it as best you can, and use a hair dryer on it. If you don't have a hair dryer, then put the PCB(s) on a towel in the oven for 10 minutes @ 125F. If you're in the desert, then just put them in the sun for a while.

The problem here is that removing the keys from the PCB is usually a tricky process and it's easy to break the retaining clips, making in hard/impossible to put some of the keys back on. But it's worth a try!  

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

+1 on tearing it down!  Grab you digital camera and do step by step photos, most key boards have multiple Mylar layers inside.  Also as insurance tale a shop of the key board just in case you do what I have done a time or two that is to knock some of the key s out while fiddling around.  I shoot Windex on both sides of the Mylar and rinse in warm water, allow to thoroughly dry before assembly.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users