Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can connect wirelessly but can't access router settings.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

I'm using a Belkin F5D7230-4 on Windows 7 and have been for a couple of years without any issues.  My computer computer and Xbox are connected to it with ethernet cables; everything else connects wirelessly.  Sometime in the last week, I started having some unexpected problems.  Just the other night, when I had some friends over, nobody was able to connect to my WiFi.  It would show up just fine in the list of networks and I had no trouble accessing it on my phone, but they weren't able to connect for some reason.  And then today, I was unable to connect to my computer through Windows Media Center on the Xbox 360.  I could go online with the console just fine, but I couldn't stream videos.

Thinking my router needed to be restarted, I went into the control panel via 192.168.2.1 but that didn't help anything.  I noticed that my wireless connection was no longer showing up in Network Connections, so I tried going to the router control panel again but was unable to do so.  After trying various solutions I found online, nothing seemed to work, so I did a hard reset on the router.  Since doing so, nothing has been resolved.  I'm able to access WiFi just fine, but I can't get into the control panel and my wireless connection still doesn't show up in Network Connections.  To make matters worse, my router settings have been reset (thus making it no longer secure) and I have no way of changing my SSID, password, or anything else.  I can switch over to using my regular modem to avoid security concerns, but it would be nice to get my WiFi working normally again!

When I run ipconfig /all, my Belkin no longer shows up anywhere (just my Local Area Connection and VirtualBox network) and all of the adapters say "Media disconnected".  Does anyone know what might be going on here and how I can fix it?  I've never had an issue like this, so I'm not sure what to do.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

EDIT:  I've attached my MiniToolBox scan results.

Edited by ZombieToast, 22 September 2014 - 12:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:56 AM

I'm assuming that you bypassed the router to get online and you ran the minitoolbox once you got connected. Have you unplugged the router and modem for a few moments then plugged them back in...modem first let the lights settle then plug in the router? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ZombieToast

ZombieToast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:03 AM

See, that's what's so weird about it: I don't have to bypass the router.  I'm still connected normally, but my computer is almost acting like I don't have a router at all and I can't get into the Belkin control panel.  And yes, I have tried unplugging the modem and router and then plugging them back in as you suggested; it made no difference.  I've never run into a problem like this, so I don't really know what to make of it.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

Here's the Belkin support page, it may have tips you haven't tried,,, http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=7983 .

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

You're not going to get to it with the IP address you have, it starts with 75. It is acting like DHCP was shut off. You'll need to reset it. Normally by the power plug there is a recessed button. A ball point pen should reach it if not a paper clip. Press and hold it down for 5 or so seconds. Then do an ipconfig /release/renew on your PC.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 ZombieToast

ZombieToast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:35 PM

Thank you for trying to help me, everyone.  Absolutely nothing I tried was yielding any positive results, so I started thinking it must be a hardware issue.  Before going out and buying a whole new router, the simplest thing I could think of to try was a new ethernet cable and sure enough, as soon as I replaced the cable going from the modem to the router, everything started working again!  I don't quite understand how WiFi was still working this whole time, but I'm happy to say that I can access the control panel again and I have imported my saved settings.  Thanks again for trying to work through this with me!

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:49 PM

wow that is weird lol. glad you got it figured out

#8 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:20 AM

I don't quite understand how WiFi was still working this whole time, but I'm happy to say that I can access the control panel again and I have imported my saved settings.  Thanks again for trying to work through this with me!

The WiFi and Ethernet circuitry are separate.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Wouldn't matter if circuitry was separate since both would go to the same place [the modem] for internet.

I suspect you are not connect to your network via wifi but a unsecured neighbors which would explain why your wifi worked when your router wasn't connected to the modem/internet.

#10 ZombieToast

ZombieToast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

I have no idea how it was working that way, but I know it wasn't a neighbor's network.  Aside from using my SSID and password to connect, I live out in the boondocks and there isn't anyone who lives close enough for me to be able to reach their network.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

Does seem strange then that you had internet connection when the cable that had to carry that transmission was damaged.  Caulk it up to being another computer mystery. :-)

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:08 AM

Usually under administration there is a section to enable/disable wifi access to the routers web control panel. Typically you would want this enabled if your wifi is ever compromised the hacker on the wifi cannot access the router's login and only wired pc's can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users