Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a new wireless router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chaostoday

chaostoday

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:40 PM

I'm a home user but do some business with my router as well. I currently have a E1200 and I'm not happy with the range. I have a two level home and unfortunately the router is downstairs. I don't get great signal in the corner rooms of the house.
I invested in a wireless range extender (WN3000RP) to boost things. I haven't been happy at all with it. It continues losing connectivity and must be reset sometimes daily.
I want a gigabit wireless router that extends my range evenly to both floors and is reliable without breaking the bank.
I'm not a gamer but love to stream.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

it depends on the layout of your home, location of the router, location of the repeater. I think you can get better signals with your equipment you already have. The router should be a in a center location up on a shelf or even mounted vertical. Routers broadcast wifi omnidirectional (circle) By mounting the device you can leave one antenna vertical and one horizontal. This way the signal will penetrate through the ceiling much better.

Then in the upstairs rooms keep the repeater as closely proximity as you can with the router. Dimminishing the signal between the two is the problem, so you want the best signal full bars you can get. Then with the repeater do that same thing bend one antenna horizontal so it's signal penetrates the floor. If you have no antenna on the router atleast try to replace the antenna on the repeater because those little stubby antenna are some weaksauce. They apear to be little 3 inch. Go down and buy a couple 6"/db or even a 9"/db pair of antennas for it. It might also be ideal to get a extension power cord and mount the repeater/extender at chest level as well. Remember the signal is omnidirectional so one antenna on each device is used in such a way to penetrate the floor/ceiling. To bad BC didn't have a whiteboard I could draw an example LOL.

Edited by technonymous, 24 September 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:11 AM

I would say without breaking the bank can depend. One of the best routers out there for Wifi is the Netgear Nighthawk 3200. It is a tri-band (6 antenna) wireless router with its own dual core 1Ghz processor and over 3.2 Gbps combined wifi speed. It boasts a wifi range that could give full signal strength in all areas of a 10,000 square foot home (including going through up to 3 floors). Only downside to this router is that it costs $299.99! But I have one in my 3200 Sq ft home and I have no wifi dead spots, full signal all around and can transfer over wifi at 55 Mbps. Best router I have ever owned.

Gavin Seabrook

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:10 AM

I too think you just need to mess with the equipment you have to get a better signal. If you have an android phone the first thing I'd do is download inSSIDer this will show you all the wireless signals, their strength and the channels. Next get your main router as high up as you can. Mess with the antennas, it's best to do this with help, one moving the antennas and another at the edge of the routers broadcast range with inSSIDer running relaying back when they are seeing the strongest signal.

I have never used a power plug extender, I just use an old router with dd-wrt on it. I'd plug it into an extension cord to get it a bit higher, like on a bookshelf, but near the edge of the router's range. 

If you're still not happy with it then I'd look into a new router. Most times you'll find a better deal online but it's such a pain to return things so I'd see if you can find one you like locally buy it, just to test the signal. If it works and is cheaper online, order it and return the local one.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:47 AM

Those antenna on that repeater is sooo tiny no wonder your signal is bad. Just replacing the antenna to a 6 or 9 inch will make all the difference in the world. It will boost the overall dbm power output. Also as Cavedweller suggested get a inssider or wifi analyzer android app. With that you can walk around with it and see how far you can go before the signal starts to drop and check dead spots. Also see other networks in the area and what channels they are all on.

Edited by technonymous, 26 September 2014 - 01:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users