Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender has given up the fight

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JimConsidine

JimConsidine

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hello.

Today, a generic looking pop-up informed me that when I opened an NFL website that allows the viewer to follow the statistics of a particular game by launching an applet and the information you seek is in the pop-up window.  It's a little antiquated, but it does the job without relying upon the commercial sports networks and all of the fluff and nonsense that comes with their services.

Today, I received the message "Application blocked by security settings"

My next move is to overrule whatever security setting was triggered by my opening this perfectly benign application.  I am relying upon the Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows Firewall as my active anti virus/malware system. I do a weekly cleaning with cCleaner, thorough scan with Spy Bot Search and Destroy, and I use defraggler. Every month I use a combination of the Bleeping Computer's disinfectants to remove junkware, malware, adware, etc.  I seem to stay ahead of the fray while preserving the memory that is consumed by so many commercial anti-virus/malware scanners.

I am open to suggestions for improving my process.

In the meantime, when I started digging through Microsoft 7 to address the issue, I find out that "Windows Defender" is turned off.  It will not turn back on manually or through restarting.  One clue I received was that it is "Out of Date".  Using Windows Update did not rectify this problem.  So, I am stuck with Windows Defender that will not turn on. 

Microsoft Security Essentials is functioning as is the firewall.  Spybot Search and Destroy was also turned off, but I was able to manually turn it back on.

I am not sure if one needs MS Security Essentials AND Windows Defender. I do not believe that the free installation of Spybot S&D provides much real time protection as I have to update it manually before I scan for malware.

Attached are screen shots of the events described above.

I will be glad to run the mini toolbox utility, but I will wait for the instructions of the good samaritan who responds to my problem.

Many thanks,

Jim Considine

Baltimore, MD

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2014 - 09:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:51 AM

See this ... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials/7fe5ee56-742a-448b-8de9-8eac975179ff .

#3 JimConsidine

JimConsidine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users