Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing hard drive space.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yeezy bros

yeezy bros

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hello everyone, pretty new to this site and have a slight problem and was not able to find any answers that fixed my problem. I bought this computer about 2 months ago used and noticed recently that my 300 gig hard drive has magically disappeared down to 36ish gigs throughout the last month or so. I know I have not downloaded anything that much space demanding, so it must be a virus of some sort.

Here's some pictures if they help any:

Spoiler

The start:

I ran malwarebytes anti-malware and here's the log:

Spoiler

I am willing to try anything that wont totally render my computer useless but will help to get down to the bottom of this for good.

- Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2014 - 11:43 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

Hello and Welcome

You can download WinDirStat to see where and what is taking up space on your hard drive. To get rid of the temp files first type Run in the Search Box. Click it and in the Run Box type %temp%. This will open up a window of your temp directory. You can safely delete files and folders in this directory. If you have more than one account on the computer, do this for each account.

#3 yeezy bros

yeezy bros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hello and Welcome

You can download WinDirStat to see where and what is taking up space on your hard drive. To get rid of the temp files first type Run in the Search Box. Click it and in the Run Box type %temp%. This will open up a window of your temp directory. You can safely delete files and folders in this directory. If you have more than one account on the computer, do this for each account.

Thank you, I am currently deleting the temp files and there is 1,382 in the process of being deleted. As for the WinDirStat is it supposed to take quite a long time to load all of my files into that program? Or is it going to vary depending on how much space in being taken up on your computer?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

Remember to empty your recycle bin after deleting the files. Windirstat is going to have to scan the drive first but I can't give you a time estimate on it. Another utility you may want to download is CCleaner and let it clean out the cache of your browsers. Do not use the registry cleaner. I just used it to clean over 350MB or Firefox cache files. Opt out of any optional programs or toolbars it may ask you to download.

Edit: Take a look at how much disk space is reserved for system restore. How much is alloted to it in %?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 September 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#5 yeezy bros

yeezy bros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

Remember to empty your recycle bin after deleting the files. Windirstat is going to have to scan the drive first but I can't give you a time estimate on it. Another utility you may want to download is CCleaner and let it clean out the cache of your browsers. Do not use the registry cleaner. I just used it to clean over 350MB or Firefox cache files. Opt out of any optional programs or toolbars it may ask you to download.

I tried running cc cleaner earlier and it was getting stuck at 27% for some reason. I guess I can try it again.

#6 yeezy bros

yeezy bros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

Edit: Take a look at how much disk space is reserved for system restore. How much is alloted to it in %.

It's getting stuck at 23% at

"Windows Explorer

Taskbar Jump Lists"

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

Try clearing the Jump and Start lists manually. Then run CCleaner again.

#8 yeezy bros

yeezy bros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

Try clearing the Jump and Start lists manually. Then run CCleaner again.

Sorry about the delay, was deleting the temp files one by one because it was faster. And as far as cc clean it is not going past 23%. I already had the 2 items checked that was suggested for clearing the jump and start lists manually. 

EDIT: It actually went past 23% its just taking a very long time.

Edited by yeezy bros, 21 September 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

When starting CCleaner uncheck everything under Windwos Explorer and then run again. If that does not work run Ccleaner in safe mode. If Ccleaner runs okay after unchecking everything under Widnows Explorer then run CCleaner again with only one checkbox checked under Windows Explorer and run it again. Did you see how much space is reserved for System Restore? How much free space do you have now?

#10 yeezy bros

yeezy bros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

When starting CCleaner uncheck everything under Windwos Explorer and then run again. If that does not work run Ccleaner in safe mode. If Ccleaner runs okay after unchecking everything under Widnows Explorer then run CCleaner again with only one checkbox checked under Windows Explorer and run it again. Did you see how much space is reserved for System Restore? How much free space do you have now?

Okay cc cleaner finished and it didn't really find anything. I'm almost done deleting everything from temp. I currently have 240 free/297 avaliable. Also I was wondering, I have this problem where when I search with google chrome in the omni bar my home page is set to google, along with the search engine but for whatever reason, it redirects me to yahoo search.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

I would download and run Adwcleaner. Open Chrome Setting. Make sure Google is selected in the dropdown box under Search. Then click Manage Search Engines and post what the path is for the default search engine which should show Google in bold.

#12 yeezy bros

yeezy bros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

I would download and run Adwcleaner. Open Chrome Setting. Make sure Google is selected in the dropdown box under Search. Then click Manage Search Engines and post what the path is for the default search engine which should show Google in bold.

Okay so I ran adwcleaner and this is the result for that:

Spoiler

As far as search engines, this is what it looks like.
Spoiler
Also, my hard drive space seems to still be creeping down slowly (like 1 gig a day) maybe its because regular temp files are being added back? Not too sure. And also a heads up for the yahoo searching problem, sometimes it will search with google, but then some other times it'll redirect and search with yahoo for some reason.

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for the late responses. Still in highschool.

Edited by yeezy bros, 23 September 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

I would download and run Hitman Pro. I saw you had System Optimizers on the computer. Those can cause more problems than they solve.

After running Hitman Pro, Download and Install Malwarebytes Free. Update the definitions and do a scan. You have to check a box during install to keep the full version from installing.

Redirects are usually do to Adware/Malware

#14 yeezy bros

yeezy bros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

I would download and run Hitman Pro. I saw you had System Optimizers on the computer. Those can cause more problems than they solve.

After running Hitman Pro, Download and Install Malwarebytes Free. Update the definitions and do a scan. You have to check a box during install to keep the full version from installing.

Redirects are usually do to Adware/Malware

Okay, I will do that when I get home. And I ran a scan of malware bytes in the first post but I will be willing to uninstall it and download it again.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

Sorry, that was my mistake. No need to reinstall Malwarebytes unless. I would download Rkill. Run that but do not reboot. Then do a another scan with malwarebytes after the HitmanPro scan. If those two scans do not fix the redirect issue, then I would start a thread in the "Am I infected Forum". Use CCleaner every day and if it still creeps down then something else is causing the problem. Edit: I would not use it everyday. Keep an eye on your temp files and what they are.

If you do not use Yahoo search remove that from Chrome, also Ask if it is still shown.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 September 2014 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users