Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Forgot password to iPad 64 GB. Canít get to files. Apple Store is of no help.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

Greetings BP Community:

Hope everyone is doing well as I post this question about my iPad 64 GB. Haven’t used it in awhile and can’t remember the pass word to open and use it (duh). I want to get a newer one and transfer my files from the old one into the new.

Is there a way I can legitimately crack the forgotten password and go about my business? Local geeks at computer stores AND the Apple store say that they cannot help me with this problem. Even though I gave the the serial number, etc...to the Apple store for proof of intial purchase.

If worse comes to worse, if I physically open the old iPad up and remove the HD, is there a way I can still transfer the files?

Thanks!

Respect & Appreciation,

MH~

Edited by windummy, 21 September 2014 - 06:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

I physically open the old iPad up and remove the HD, is there a way I can still transfer the files?

Unfortunately not.

If you can remember or find a computer which you've synced it with, you can backup all of your data without being prompted for a passcode.

What sort of data are you hoping to backup?

Unofficial iOS Genius

#3 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

I physically open the old iPad up and remove the HD, is there a way I can still transfer the files?

Unfortunately not.

If you can remember or find a computer which you've synced it with, you can backup all of your data without being prompted for a passcode.

What sort of data are you hoping to backup?

@ Felipe2237:

Thanks for the reply and certain assurances about this matter. I'm really an IBM user and am not as familiar with today's Mac stuff as I should be. But on this pad are things like pics of family, etc. JPEG's I did not copy and transfer to Windows. Most importantly, a trial version of Pro Tools for DAW in deep connection with my work in the music buisness as a producer. I'm still going to purchase a new iPad 64 GB because I think it's time I got more involved with cross platforming between IBM and Mac.

Basically, I just need to be able to transfer the files into the new iPad. Where you say:

"If you can remember or find a computer which you've synced it with, you can backup all of your data without being prompted for a passcode."

Problem there is, I never got to the point of syncing with another host, etc. So, it seems to me that unless I crack the forgotten password; I'm in over my head and am most likely going to have to contact a private free lance tech and pay him to handle this for me using the kind of forensic software tools for Mac that I know those guys own and know how to use.

It's all good. Because we all never stop learning newer and better things.

Thanks again for stopping by and offering practical input!

I look forward to posting successful outcome results to you all about this when the time comes.

Re,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 22 September 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#4 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

UPDATE:

As I declared with Felipe2237, I did email my tech guy, Alan who emailed me this reply with a link as follows:

MH,
You can have your friend try this: LINK  I know of no other way.

Good luck!

Alan

What are the communities thoughts on this public link?

I don't use iTunes, never even knew it was possible to facilitate it as a data back up source.

Not into cloud storage either. But, in this case; I might make an exception and pay for an account if I can extract the old data somehow. If my tech guy doesn't want to touch this problem...now I know I'm really in over my head!

/MH~

#5 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

So, it seems to me that unless I crack the forgotten password; I'm in over my head and am most likely going to have to contact a private free lance tech and pay him to handle this for me using the kind of forensic software tools for Mac that I know those guys own and know how to use.

As far as my knowledge goes, I'm unaware of any programs that can crack the password.

Most importantly, a trial version of Pro Tools for DAW in deep connection with my work in the music buisness as a producer.

What files are you trying to recover from the app?

===

But on this pad are things like pics of family, etc. JPEG's

This we can do. 

Taken in its most basic state, your iPad is simply a stripped down version of linux running on a portable computer. We can still access those files. The tool we will be using is a file explorer, similar to Windows Explorer except just for iOS devices.

See here

Here is the direct download to the application.

The images are the easiest to access, upon opening the program you will see a list of items on the left. Those are shortcuts to certain locations on the device, the one we are interested in is logically titled Camera. Double click the shortcut and you will see a list of images and movies, under the file name format IMG_####. Select all the images you would like to transfer to your PC, either by shift clicking or by simply dragging your mouse across all the files and click the orange arrow named Copy To PC. Select the location to save the files under and you're done! Feel free to  close the application at this point.

Felipe2237

Unofficial iOS Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users