Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do Mcafee Suite And Spywareblaster Like Each Other?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

I need to help my relative cleanup and setup things better, maybe :thumbsup:

Apparently the computer is slooow, and I've read the tutorials here about that and have a pretty good idea what to do, having used them already for myself. If I'm wrong you'll see further pleas for help.

Already there is, I've been told, McAfee security suite or some close name to that.
If I were to add SpywareBlaster, will it help or conflict?

What's the simplest thing to kill spam in future emails? I believe that is a problem as well. And I'd like to know whether existing emails in Outlook Express (or perhaps Outlook, I'm not sure) can be scanned somehow for trash.

Not only I'd like to get few answers, I'd like to have some by about noon tomorrow, PLEASE, if possible. :flowers:
I know it's asking a lot with a time deadline, so I apologize for this imposition in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:15 PM

I don't know the answer to your first question but I doubt there would be any conflicts...however, I don't know for sure but someone else will.

As far as spam in Outlook goes your best bet is to uninstall outlook and switch to Mozilla Thunderbird. It is an amazing product. I switched over to it for security purposes from Outlook Express and never looked back. The spam filters are incredible and I guarantee after a few days your spam will be reduced by about 95%, if you train the filter properly of course... It also has the look and feel of outlook in many ways so you'll instantly be comfortable with it. Here is a download link with info:

Thunderbird Download and Info

Here is a link on how to setup Thunderbird to eliminate spam effectively, without deleting valid emails. It's about Netscape but sets up the same way:

Thunderbird Spam Filter

Here is a link to a Thunderbird FAQ:

Thunderbird FAQ

I tried and tired with Outlook Express but always ended up getting tons of spam and I already get about 50 valid emails a day...I finally decided it wasn't worth it and I really think switching is your simplest option.

hope this helps.
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:20 AM

You are probably going to have to manually scan your saved E-mails in whichever MS application you are using and delete those that are Spam. There are then several ways to reduce the amount of spam in the future.
One of the best ways to prevent spam is to use your E-mail provider's spam filtres and thus stop spam before you download it; instructions are usually provided on the Help section when you look at your E-mail accounts on-line for their filter's use. Many of the providers also allow you to designate mail that passes through their filters by mistake as spam and thus prevent future mail from that address.
Additionally, have several "throw-away" accounts (choose from a wealth of free ones) that you use ONLY for internet purposes (such as registering) and keep another ONLY for friends, family, and trusted associates that you do not give out without good reason. Do not bother using POP E-mail for the throw-aways.
Either Outlook Express or Thunderbird have filters you can set up that will automatically sort your downloaded E-mails. Learn how to use these. Here is a link that will get you started in OE:

Filtre Instructions

Hope this helps,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:23 AM

Harry83, thanks. I'm aware of Thunderbird (though don't use it myself). But since the subject computer isn't mine, it's not an option.

You are probably going to have to manually scan your saved E-mails in whichever MS application you are using and delete those that are Spam. There are then several ways to reduce the amount of spam in the future.

By "Manually" - do you mean visual inspection? Ouch!

John, The link you provided is a goldmine. As I read your reply and then the info there, I realized there are certain things one assumes are there. My pc is setup tight. At home, I don't know what spam is, but I did the setup so long ago I forgot how, and I swear, as I was planning this help adventure, that it was all built in!!! It's coming back to me now - one of the things to setup is a whitelist (receive mail only from who's in your address book for instance) and another is the "throw-away accounts" which I use as well.

In any case, any advice on McAfee with SpywareBlaster?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

"Ouch!" is right, especially if there are a ton of saved E-mails. If this is not your computer, then the user will have to help determine what is spam, outside of the obvious ones. It might be helpful as well to suggest to the user that keeping the various folders in OE relatively clean is a good idea, as these can become so clogged that they cease to function, or slow down OE.
I have found the filtres used by (for example) Yahoo or Googlemail to be very effecient, and sometimes TOO effecient, in blocking unwanted crud; consequently I have little need to use Firefox's excellent filtres.

I cannot give much advise about the conflict question, since I use neither. The only potential conflict, if such there might be, would be any "real time" protection running from both at once. I would await better advice before making a decision about Spywareblaster, especially if the user has Ad-AwareSE and Spybot S&D already installed.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 09 June 2006 - 08:47 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

But since the subject computer isn't mine, it's not an option.

Oh sorry I should've paid closer attention to that part.

As far as spyware blaster goes...it doesn't have any real time protection so I don't think there would be any conflict. It doesn't run in the background like spyware guard. It just prevents the installation of known malware, blocks spyware/tracking cookies, and restricts the actions of known bad sites....I guess you could compare it to "immunizing" your browser when you start it up and run it. The only time you have to run it after that it is to check for updates every once in a while. I don't use McAfee so I can't say definitively, but my guess is no conflict.

Okay I'm going edit crazy here lol...One of the things I did when I was using Outlook Express was I set up a Gmail account so that it was linked to my primary email address, which is my penn state addess. Therefore all of my mail went from the PSU servers to gmail. I then setup my Outlook to receive forwarded mail from the Gmail servers. It actually worked quite nicely and gmail was acting as a spam filter for my Outlook. the only problem was, I couldn't send mail from my Outlook Express account without "replying" to a received email, or "forwarding" and email...and that only worked after the date that I linked the accounts. I sware I had the send protocalls setup correctly but clearly I was doing something wrong.

It was really awesome except I couldn't "create" emails...to this day I never figured out what the problem was or how to fix it. That is one of the primary reasons why I switched to Thunderbird...

It's just an idea though...if you know how to make that work, then let me know :thumbsup:

Edited by Harry83, 09 June 2006 - 10:35 AM.

--
Harry83
Posted Image

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

While trying to help out a slow computer, following most of the instructions from here, I ran into several things I think I need help with.
I did not yet reach the stage of Spywareblaster, as I saw few things in need of immediate attention - such as installation of a router and changing emails to yahoo or google.
Basically I have not touched the spam issue yet other than suggest manual deleting ASAP.

0. I believe CCleaner ran few days ago, so did scanDisk and defrag.
1. We installed and ran Spybot S&D where we cleaned up everything, plus disabled a bunch of unnecessary startup items, such as motivesmartbridge, and several other ISP-provided things (Verizon OnLine) which aren't needed.
2. Then in safe mode we ran Lavasoft Ad-AwareSE and a-square.
3. I have complete logs of everything, and ran Hijack This before and after.
4. a-square detected these items (I transcribed from a screen shot):
C:\Program Files\aws\weatherbug --– Trace.Directory.WeatherBug
C:\Program Files\toolbar --– Trace.Directory.WebSearchTo…
C:\temp\salm.log --– Trace.File.180Solutions
C:\temp\salm_kyf.dat --– Trace.File.180Solutions
C:\Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb Client\6.1.0.153\Program\runner..--- Adware.BackWeb.a
C:\Program Files\SPYremoval\Backup\BackWeb-137903.exe.bak – Adware.BackWeb.a
C:\System Volume Information\_restore {593172EE-14D9-4262-8426-24BF…} ---Adware.Toolbar.MyWebSearch
Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\protocols\name-space handler\res –-- Trace.Registry.IBSToolbar
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\sds software –-- Trace.Registry.KittenFreeSex
Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ protocols\name-space handler\res –-- Trace.Registry.WebSearchTo…
When I did a screen shot, I didn't notice the unfinished words such as "To..." - I suspect it's 'toolbar".
I googled for all of them, and they don't sound good to me. Also what does "Trace" mean?
Would it be ok to post the HijackThis log done after all this cleanup, since there's a bunch of items I think should go, but I don't want to touch anything without advice from BC.

I can't believe 180Solutions ended up here as well :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 11 June 2006 - 09:44 PM.

#8 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:46 AM

Hrmm yeah looks like you might have some nasty stuff on there...definite adware at least...

I suggest posting a HijackThis log in the HJT Logs and Analysis Forum. Here is a link to that Forum:

HJT Forum

Please follow the preparation directions and try not to alter your system until you receive help from one of the team members. The preparation directions are found at the following link:

Prep Guide for Posting HJT Logs

Please note: Do not try to fix any problems with HJT yourself...please be patient until a team member can look at the log.

I hope this helps you out!
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Harry83.
Posted HJT logs http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55249/hjt-followup-re-cleanup-of-malware/

#10 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

From what I understand, traces are just file fragments that remain as leftover junk from an incomplete removal of the spyware. This doesn't necessarily mean any of the malware is active or will become active again. Most traces are just junk that do nothing except take up space. I'm not sure if you ran into a specific problem other than just being suspicious? I gave your log a glance and didn't see anything glaring or outwardly suspicious...then again I am a trainee and didn't spend too long looking at it :thumbsup:

Wait to see what your helper says, but after they are through with you, if there are no problems in the log, post back here so we can finish up the original discussion :flowers:
--
Harry83
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users