Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer showing no signs of life

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John Anon

John Anon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

So earlier today I had turned off my computer by the socket (I've been doing this now and then for some time when I am in a rush to come off) and just attempted to turn it on but nothing. Normally there is a green light at the back next to the power cable but that is no longer green. I have tried it in different sockets and with different power cables but to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice to why this has happened and how possibly I could go about fixing / troubleshooting it without professional advice as I'm quite short on cash at the moment (can't really afford a £40 + computer repair this month).

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

Since you are shutting the computer off by pulling the plug from the wall receptacle I'm guessing this is a desktop?

Are you pulling the plug from the "socket" of the PSU or the wall receptacle?

There should be an on/off switch on the rear of the PSU, make sure it is turned on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 John Anon

John Anon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

I've been pulling the plug from the socket of the PSU sadly.

There is no on/off switch at the back of my motherboard for some reason, only the socket then the light which doesn't work.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

The switch is on the back of the psu.  It is usually next to the socket.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 John Anon

John Anon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Do you mean on the exterior or actually inside the motherboard? Next to the socket at the back where I put the power cable in is no switch.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

The square area outline in red is the power switch, the socket where you plug the power cord in this picture is to the right of the switch.

psu2_zpsb02c3f1d.png

Edited by dc3, 21 September 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#7 John Anon

John Anon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

There is none in mine, I checked on the internet or images of my model and there's no switch which is strange.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:14 PM

Just a thought, but as you live in the UK time zone, perhaps you live in the UK and our plugs are fused. Have you checked the fuse in the plug ?

You are right about the On/Off switch at the back of a computer - not all computers have them. I have a brand new Packard Bell sitting beside me and that doesn't have a switch !

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 21 September 2014 - 05:15 PM.
Spelling !

#9 John Anon

John Anon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

I've checked the plug with my lamp and it works.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

One thing you could try is to unplug the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds and then plug the power button back and try to reboot. Another thing to look at is the fuse in the PSU. Warning this can be dangerous. See the following.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/learn-to-re-fuse-a-power-supply/

WARNING!
Working on a power supply should not be taken lightly or attempted by someone with little electrical experience. Even when the supply is unplugged, its components can remain charged and SHOCK YOU. If you are in doubt about your abilities, let an experienced repair technician do the work or simply replace the entire power supply.
If you do decide to open a power supply, remember to UNPLUG IT FIRST. Also, DO NOT WEAR A SHORTING BRACELET when working inside a power supply. You do not want to be in the current path of a discharging capacitor. Remember that power supplies are not the high-dollar items they once were and an hour of a tech’s labor is sometimes more than the cost of a new supply. If you do feel confident to work on a power supply, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

A safer approach would be to check the PSU with a multimeter. This should tell you if the PSU is bad. Then it would be matter of ordering a new PSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

#11 paulwalker1

paulwalker1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:16 AM

NEVER EVER EVER turn your computer off at the mains. You've probably burned the power supply and will need a new one. Last tme this happened to me it cost me £90 for new power supply.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

NEVER EVER EVER turn your computer off at the mains. You've probably burned the power supply and will need a new one. Last tme this happened to me it cost me £90 for new power supply.

The PSU does not care if you turn it on or off.  If the power is removed it simply turns off.

The real problem with hard shut downs is that it can damage files.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

I've checked the plug with my lamp and it works.

You have got me confused here. The only things I know that take a computer type plug (the triangular one) other than computer equipment are some electric kettles. What I meant was did you check the fuse in the plug at the opposite end of the cable that plugs into the computer. Or better still, try a different power lead ?

Chris Cosgrove

#14 ColbyM

ColbyM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

You should really not unplug a computer before you have a chance to properly shut it down. You can lose or corrupt files which can cause the computer misbehave when in the OS. At least log off of your user profile before you pull the plug, that gives it a chance to at least save your personal files. Still, I don't recommend it at all. What you are describing sounds more like a hardware issue. Check the fuse in your power supply (be extremely caution when doing this). Unplug the computer and wait a little while and hit the power button a few time to drain all the capacitors of any remaining power. If you feel comfortable getting inside the computer, pull off the side panel and look for the little button cell battery located on the motherboard. Carefully pull this out for about a minute and then put it back where you got it from. Now's a good time to give the computer a dusting. Let us know if any of the above helps. Good luck.

Edited by ColbyM, 24 September 2014 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users