Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed Power Supply Unit, Now Pc Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kursktiger

Kursktiger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

I have a three-year old Compaq desktop. The fan in the power supply unit stopped working and the computer shut off. I picked up a new power supply at Compuserve for about $30 and installed it. Now when I boot up, it only goes as far as the "post-up" screen. Windows XP does not boot up and the keyboard doesn't work. The hard drive is not spinning and the cd drive isn't working as well, so I can't use my boot disc.

What are the chances my harddrive failed when the PSU went? Since the post-up screen comes on, I'm thinking the motherboard is still working.

Anybody else run into this problem?

Thanks for any and all input!

Edited by Kursktiger, 08 June 2006 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:29 PM

Compaq is another one of those companies that are proprietorial about thier parts, so if you didn't replace the PSU with one of theirs you could have a compatibilty issue, the pin configuration isn't the same as others.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

I agree dc3, I have had several Compaq's that did require a certain type of PSU's. If you have the old PSU, you should be able to get the information off of it, or do a search on the Compaq model and find it's requirements. I have had luck finding these compatible power supplies on ebay and they worked great.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:30 AM

I should have thought to add this in my last post, look at the two connectors and see if there is any difference in the colors and the pins. Not all of Compaq's motherboards are incompatible with OEM PSUs.

Let us know what you find, inquiring minds want to know.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users