Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use extension USB cable for 3,5" external hard disks without problems?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

Can one extend the USB cables for USB 3,5" hard disks (e.g. WD MyBook, Seagate) without getting problems? Either with extension cables or with longer USB connections. What should be the max. length to extend? Or shouldn't extensions for hard disks not be used at all?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

USB Cabling

For practical purposes, I wouldn't go past 10 feet. Are these USB 2.0 drives?

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Using an extension USB cord is not guaranteed to work, regardless of what length you use.

For example, I have a USB 2.0 Western Digital 500GB external harddrive that will only work if connected directly to a USB 2.0 port on my computer.

I have a 3-foot USB extension cord that all of my flashdrives will all work on, but my external harddrive simply won't work with it.  I even bought a special adapter where one end of my USB extension cord could plug into two USB connectors simultaneously (just in case my external harddrive needed the extra electrical power), but still no joy. 

Edited by Torvald, 22 September 2014 - 04:45 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thank you, Torvald,

Strange, may be the 500 GB drive is a little bit old or / and the USB cord do not have the standard wire connections.

So obviously the best would be to only use the supplied cable and to each time place the hdd near the computer when needed, but that is not that convenient.

Many thanks again.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

I have uses extension cables along with a USB IDE/SATA adapter on IDE drives without a problem but the cable was only 3 feet. And, these cables were labeled as USB 1.1

#6 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:04 AM

Thank you, JohnC_21. OK, not that long, but I assume it could be enough for me. Labeld as USB 1.1 and, I assume, fast as USB 2.0 at least

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I posted that USB 1.1 worked for me but you should be using USB 2.0. For a cable to extend for a HDD I would recommend this.

Or, you could go cheap and see if it works for you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 September 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

I routinely use a 4 foot extension cable for all my USB stuff, very convenient so far no issues, I have not tried any USB3 stuff yet.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Sorry for misunderstanding, JohnC_21,

Alright, I understand, many thanks for the links.

I routinely use a 4 foot extension cable for all my USB stuff, very convenient so far no issues, I have not tried any USB3 stuff yet.

By the way, I assume, if there are issues, one hopefully will notice it. So, if I synchronize data and the extension would be too long / of poor quality e.g. the sync program will show a failure message.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

You can check the files to see if they are identical using a crc or md5 check but I don't think WIndows verifies if the copied file is identical to the original. I would keep the cable as short as possible.

#11 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

You can check the files to see if they are identical using a crc or md5 check but I don't think WIndows verifies if the copied file is identical to the original.

Yes, I would think so too, but I hope, if the data are not transferred correctly to the destination, there will be displayed a message.

Yes, as short as possible.

Thank you.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

From what I have read Windows 7 is supposed to include the verify switch on a copy operation but it is still in doubt if it works. You can try Teracopy (freeware). This utility does do a CRC check on copy operations.

http://codesector.com/teracopy

teracopy_full.png

#13 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

OK, thank you very much for the links, espacially the program.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hi

FWIW I use 6 foot USB3 extension all the time. I use them on the computer and a media player. I use the ones on the computer to route the Back USB3 ports over to where I put external drives. I Use them with External USB3 Hard Drives of several different makes, Sizes and USB3 Flash drives too. I use them so I do not have to bend down and grope around on the back of the computer to change drives and to put the drives in a more convenient location.

I have a policy of only buying USB3 external storage and cabling for a while now. FWIW I also tend to use 2Tb Portable drives to save space and clutter and to avoid needing a external power adapter too. Anything that needs more space is sent to a NAS device.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#15 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hello Roger,

6 foot is very good. I do not want to replace the external drives, place them near the Notebook when I use them / plug them in, so some extensions labeled with the hdd name / letter to easily find the right plug immediately would be good.

I also would like to use 2,5" drives without power supply (plugging in an off does not make fun), but prices and capacities of 3,5" hdds are much more convenient.

Many thanks.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users