Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computerhelp-site tells me im have a malware.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smoetbolle

smoetbolle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

hi everybody ,my computerhelpsite from belgium tell me that im stucked with malware.

they found out (thats what they told me) that trusted installer is the troublemaker.

i hope you understand me well,because my english is not that good.

they found it out,when i post a screenshot with treesize.

what you guys ( & girls) think?

here's a treezise screenshot:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

There's something very wrong with their story.

First of all, you cannot see a virus or malware by using Treesize.

Treesize is a great program but all it does is scan your computer, to tell you what files and folders take up all the space.

Trusted Installer is a Windows function. You would see it at work, for instance, when your doing Windows Updates or installing some programs.

Nevertheless, we might as well check for malware while you're here, by downloading Malwarebytes and installing it (be careful not to accept the trial version while installing) then scan your computer.

If it finds something, it'll clean it up.

If it doesn't find anything, you can be fairly certain that those guys at your computer helpsite, are telling you lies.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

...my computerhelpsite from belgium...

So... why don't you provide the URL for this site?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

Did you contact the help site? Did they contact you?

Did you allow them to remote access your computer?

If you did allow access what you got was scare tactic. There are lots of shady "help" sites which will tell you that your system is infected or has other problems and for a fee will fix it for you.

If they call you saying they "see" infection in your system hang up. There is no way for them to know that. 

All they want is your money.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'll go one step further.  These companies often will put something innocuous on the computer which will appear as a problem.  Employment qualifications for working with companies like this include a complete lack of scruples and morals.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

That's a fact.

My buddy called Magic Jack last week as there was an issue about how many years he had left.

He spoke to someone with an Indian Accent who told him the reason he was having problems was because he had malware on his machine.

Bear in mind, this is an actual Magic Jack rep.

So he goes on to say, I'll connect you with my friend Kumar who will help you.

Blah blah blah and 45 minutes went by, but they never managed to squeeze him for the $125 US, in lieu of the normal $250 fee.

It's bad enough when these guys get in touch with you, but when it's to the point that service reps are sidelining business to these scams, it's getting pretty dangerous out there.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users