Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop does not see any wireless access points

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skippy4pres

skippy4pres

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

Just yesterday, my computer found my router fine. I just had new internet turned on yesterday, and something happened when my computer tried to connect to the new internet, because now my computer can't find any wireless access points. That includes my router, the apartments router, and my phone hotspot. I've used the computer's built-in wireless troubleshooting application, and it found no errors. There were at least 25 access points in range of my computer yesterday, and now it sees nothing. The problem arose when I couldn't find the wifi, so I tried to turn wifi off and back on, and toggled airplane mode, and then it just never seemed to come back. Any help would be appreciated, thank you so much!

I am running Windows 8.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

If you are not seeing any of the normally visible access points then you almost certainly have a wi-fi problem with your own computer - the chances of all that many access points going off-air at the same time must approach zero.

If you are certain that the wi-fi on your computer is switched on, then it is possible that it has failed. These units can fail on either the transmit or receive side and still not show any problems on troubleshooting, and it can lead to much head scratching. The simplest, and cheapest, way to test this is to plug in a USB wi-fi dongle and see if that gives you a connection. You may need to download drivers for any dongle you try if Win 8.1 doesn't have them built in. See if you can borrow a dongle for an hour or two, that's even cheaper than rushing out and buying one !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users