Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32bit or 64bit advice please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alanem

alanem

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:20 AM

Hello.  I am thinking of getting a new bespoke 64bit PC and upgrade from Windows  XP.   I have been using a bookkeeping program for 12 years and have got a large number of files that I must have access to.  The program will run on Windows 7 Home Edition 32bit but not 64 bit   Should I go for Windows 7 Professional Edition 64bit then run the program in XP Compatibility Mode or reduce the PC spec and use Windows 7 Home 32 bit which will be cheaper?   Can anybody point out the major pros and cons?  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

I would go with Windows 7 Pro x64 edition with 8GB of RAM. With the Pro edition you get XP mode. It's a virtual environment  of WinXP 32-bit with SP3. You will have to DL the XP mode software, it doesn't come natively with Win7 Pro.

View this site for more info, paying attention to the Details and System Requirements buttons ... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002 .

#3 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

I would get 64-bit because it makes your computer much smoother and your gaming is gonna be alot faster.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit gives you a XP mode with a 32-bit SP3. So that would be your best choice!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

I would just dual-boot.

Louis

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

@alanem,

I suggest that you pay special attention to Hamluis' post above mine.

What he is proposing is not very difficult to do.

You can download both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of 7 and only have to pay for one activation, as the two systems cannot run at the same time, thus only one activation is needed.

You could use the 32 bit system when the need arises for your special program, and use the 64 bit system for other times, where you'll appreciate the greater amount of power.

There are many many other advantages to a dual boot, that can serve you well in the future.

So..... would you be ready to do a bit more initial work to set up a dual boot system, for the benefits, or does it sound too complicated for you?

All is well in Paradise.

#6 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestions (...but I don't know to what end?)  and to Elfbane and Laith225  for answering my question.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

A dual-boot allows you to run either version of Win 7...while still giving you access to your dated software which is running on XP.

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Louis

#8 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

Many thanks for the suggestion and this is the way I intend to go .  One numpty query though...the old programme only runs on 32 bit.  Is possible to have 32bit on the XP drive and 62bit on the Win 7?  Alan

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Each O/S runs independent of any other O/S...yes is the answer to your question.

On my system here...I have 32-bit XP and 64-bit Win 7 as a dual-boot, with each running pretty much the same programs.

Louis

#10 alanem

alanem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

You sir are a star!   Please give yourself a Shiny with my thanks.  Alan

#11 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

Yeah Dual Boot will be best for you.

Run Old Programs in XP and new programs in Win 7 easy.

I suggest for  Dual Boot in same drive.Install XP first then Install Win 7 without formatting the drive.

Just Kidding :

If i wanted to buy computer.I would go for Multi-Boot (Win XP,Win 7,Mac OS X,Linux) with Dual CPU i7 :flame: ,128 GB RAM,1TB SSD and 10TB HDD,3 GPUs CUDA...blah blah blah..  :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users