Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 George300

George300

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

Desperate situation here...

I have WIN7 SP1.
After logon the desktop is black with no icons. There is no taskbar, no start button. The shortcuts WIN+R, WIN+E, WIN+F, etc are not working.
The problem is also there in safe mode.

I read many things about explorer.exe being corrupted or infected.
My C:\Windows\explorer.exe file is 2,616,320 bytes

I tried many suggestions:
-I made sure there are no multiple displays in Display settings.
-I updated and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
-I did a system restore.
-I run SFC /SCANNOW and took "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them", but in the log file (CBS.Log) I found only errors "Cannot repair member file" about wmp.dll of Windows Media Player, so I did nothing cause Windows Media Player is irrelevant.
-I even did a windows reinstall, but the problem is still there! (btw, since then, windows fails to install many updates including IE11, so I now have IE8)
-I deleted the "iexplorer.exe" in key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution options" (there was no "explorer.exe" key to delete).
-I made sure the value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell is “Explorer.exe”.
-I did a Quick Scan with a Windows Defender Offline cd and found nothing.
-I created a new Windows user.

Nothing worked.
I cannot work on my pc and I am really desperate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just1question

just1question

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:10 AM

I would say try another reinstall, but Im not sure if thats the case here. I have had several times when my computer would just do all this weird crap right after a reinstall sometimes. But I never heard of a iexplorer.exe being 2kb....

Sorry forgot to read the bottom, I dont know

Edited by just1question, 21 September 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#3 George300

George300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:14 AM

I would say try another reinstall, but Im not sure if thats the case here. I have had several times when my computer would just do all this weird crap right after a reinstall sometimes. But I never heard of a iexplorer.exe being 2kb....

Sorry forgot to read the bottom, I dont know

Not iexplorer.exe, but explorer.exe. And it is 2,49 MB.

#4 George300

George300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

I followed this crazy suggestion from http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/228301-windows-7-there-no-icons-taskbar-my-desktop.html:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > Current Version > Winlogon > Shell (other window) > delete: explorer.exe and retype it in
(retype it??? why???)

I now have a taskbar and desktop icons.
(although I should wait, because the user that provided that solution had the problem reappear after 2 days)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users